Talk

Advanced search

First time marathon runner

(18 Posts)
OrangeSunset Mon 12-Jan-15 09:47:47

I've signed up to a marathon in the autumn, and looking for a few suggestions for kit/nutrition.

I've done a few half marathons, a few years back. I had a brilliant camelback that sat around my waist, and filled the reservoir with a sports drinks from SiS, in powdered form.

Things seem to have moved on a bit since then....I can't get a new bladder for my camelbak...sad and all the nutrition stuff seems to be about protein.

I bought a belt to carry my phone (which i also use to track the run) but it's really annoying - it's moves around as i run and the strap gets baggy.

So, what sports drinks are good for long runs, that don't cost a fortune? I'd rather take a drink that I can sip on the way round than gels.

And can anyone recommend a good belt that will carry phone and poss a drinks bottle?

Thank you grin

LadyMacmuffintop Mon 12-Jan-15 09:49:17

People have recommended the high 5 zero tabs to me so I've just got some of those and will be trying out next time!

LadyMacmuffintop Mon 12-Jan-15 09:50:28

Oh, and maybe get an arm strap for your phone? I also use one of my DH's cycling jackets which has a pocket at the back for a phone and doesn't move around too much.

OrangeSunset Mon 12-Jan-15 09:58:04

Oh thanks for the tip about the tabs - they sound good as i guess less packaging.

I did have an arm strap for my old phone, but have an iPhone 6 now and it's too big for the arm - moves round and is generally annoying. I am easily irritated when running!

twobambinos Mon 12-Jan-15 11:19:46

Cant help with the nutrition sorry furthest ive run is half and i use the water stations and don't carry fuel.
On the phone I find the arm straps really annoying too esp if u start to sweat or get wet. I got a pair of lululemon capris that have anti jiggle pockets in them and I put the phone in there and it doesn't move. I'm sure other brands have similar style pockets too

Mitchy1nge Mon 12-Jan-15 11:24:46

the zero tabs are just electrolytes and won't fuel your actual run - zero cals - but could you try lucozade? I found I could cope with it diluted 50:50 with water

have a camelbak back thing but like you am really intolerant of Stuff when running, could never take phone or keys or whatever, so will prob have gels in my pocket and drink at water stations

LadyMacmuffintop Mon 12-Jan-15 12:12:03

Yep, sorry the tabs are not fuel! I've also got some non-caffeine gels to try for the long runs, but am also wondering where I'm going to stick them. Used to run years ago without any 'fuel' - don't think I can manage that these days.

Claybury Mon 12-Jan-15 12:30:45

www.spibelt.com/products/spibelt
I would not be without this belt. It doesn't move around - I bought it at at marathon expo in London, not sure where you can get one but definitely worth it. It's stretchy - will fit iPhone and even a passport in.

OrangeSunset Mon 12-Jan-15 16:45:38

Ok so would something like this be any good for fuel - electrolytes and carbs?

I'll have a look at that belt, thanks.

Marphe Mon 12-Jan-15 17:06:18

I have a proper bee in my bonnet about all the sports drinks etc marketed at runners. IMO it is almost better to have actual food. i.e. my post run is glass of orange juice and a glass of milk with a handful of nuts, rather than some chemical laden recovery drink.

Unfortunately, that's not that convenient on the run and I haven't ound a solution, so use gels washed down with water on very long runs. Only those over 2 hours though. IMO you don't need them for less than that, although the manufacturers would have you believe otherwise. If you were to have one every 20 mins like some would advise you, you'll be taking on way more calories than you're burning and you'll be sick

Whatever you decide, it's important to practise it in training, some of the very sweet drinks and gels can play havoc with your digestion

OrangeSunset Mon 12-Jan-15 17:21:08

Ok, that's interesting marphe.

I've read that it's important to drink/fuel if you're going over 1hr. I do agree I'd rather not spend money on something specific if I can do the job naturally but as you say its about convenience too.

Pleaseputyourshoeson Mon 12-Jan-15 18:49:06

Try push nutrition gels - I use them as they are the only ones I know of that are natura. My cycling group leader put me onto them. I think they are only avail online - website is pushnutrition.eu
I use water at the water stations and a phone holder that straps onto my hand or else I leave it behind and use my Garmin and iPod.

ge0101 Tue 13-Jan-15 08:59:46

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Suzannewithaplan Tue 13-Jan-15 09:16:39

I always exercise in a fasted state, heavy weight training, swimming running cycling (ie having not eaten for around 12 hours) and can happily run for a couple of hours or more with no fuel and a small amount water more to relieve dry mouth than alleviate thirst
Obviously stored glycogen is limited but if you regularly train depleted your body should be able to adapt and use body fat for fuel. ‎

I appreciate that race performance may be optimized if you are fueled but afaik there are many advantages to training whilst depleted.

Advice on this changes constantly and there is no consensus ‎

Mitchy1nge Tue 13-Jan-15 09:31:17

my friend did VMLM in a fasted state last year but I don't think that's a strategy for mortals (plus he was quite slow, for him)

Suzannewithaplan Tue 13-Jan-15 09:46:05

Sure, everyone finds their own way to race and train but it seems dogmatic not to mention simplistic to come out with things like:
'after 90 minutes that you should start fueling as your glycogen reserves run out after this time and you need to restock them for energy'‎

Mitchy1nge Tue 13-Jan-15 09:56:29

yeah it's not 90 minutes for everyone, I know someone who can't get past 8 miles without pain and I know mad ultra runners who can do the marathon distance fasted (but who don't recommend it)

the point of the long run for marathon training is that it should feel easy, almost effortless building by tiny increments and you should finish each one tired but happy and with plenty of mental and physical fuel to do at least a chunk of it again should you have to so you're psychologically well up for the day - for most mortals that's at least 4 hours of running, if you haven't perfected your fuelling strategy during training (which should prob start from the half distance on, or 2 hours ish?) it could be a horrible day when you come to do the full distance for the first time

Suzannewithaplan Tue 13-Jan-15 10:21:19

I'm just very skeptical of hard and fast rules, I think humans are far more plastic (in th sense of being malleable) than we are often given credit for.

Even reference to scientific studies makes me suspicious, they so often conflict and are usually conducted with too small numbers of previously untrained subjects.
People who exercise consistently and strenuously for much of their lives are uncommon and it would be very difficult to recruit them in sufficient numbers for a scientific study to be statistically significant. ‎

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: