Do I need a Fitbit?

(118 Posts)
newrecruit Sun 11-Jan-15 19:42:41

Honestly. Do they actually help it just a bit of a gimmick.

I have about 3 stone to lose but haven't quite got round to starting yet. hmm

aimingforthesky Sun 11-Jan-15 19:54:41

No you don't need one but I love mine.

I've had a fit bit flex for 2weeks now and have just gone for a short walk to get to my 10000 step goal. Not sure how many calories it really burns but it helps to keep me out of the fridge and I certainly feel healthier. Great satisfaction when the wristband vibrates to tell you the target has been reached, but much cheaper to get a simple pedometer if you just want to log your steps!

MagpieCursedTea Sun 11-Jan-15 19:56:58

What kind of phone do you have? My iPhone logs all my steps and has a bunch of other things with the built in health app.

grumblepuss Sun 11-Jan-15 20:02:28

You don't NEED one, but if it works as motivation, gets you moving, helps you loose weight etc. Then maybe a good investment?
I like a good gadget, I'm waiting for the one which measures your heart rate to be sold in the UK.

bertiebogtrotter Sun 11-Jan-15 20:05:20

I love mine and it has definitely helped me become more active. I got a flex in September and there are not many days since then that I haven't hit my target of 10k steps, even if that means running round the house or on the spot while I watch TV!

The sleep tracker is quite interesting but I don't remember to put it in sleep mode much now.

FullOfChoc Sun 11-Jan-15 21:03:39

Do you think it accurately tells you how many calories you use?

I have a heart rate monitor, which is set with my age and weight. I think that must be pretty accurate?

My Iphone tracks my steps and links into my fitness pal. It seems stingy with calories burnt - or is that wishful thinking!

I bought a cheapy fitbug to see if I would like it - I've just ordered a Fitbit charge HR (from the US) as I really find it motivating but wanted something better!

whatsagoodusername Mon 12-Jan-15 19:13:19

I was considering getting one too. What iPhone apps are people using instead?

FullOfChoc Mon 12-Jan-15 19:45:42

I am looking at this one.
www.expansys.com/fitbit-charge-hr-black-large-uk-268086/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base&ito=1701&mkwid=svHjLhmZB&kword=adwords_productfeed&gclid=CJWqwOabj8MCFUbMtAodi14APA

FullOfChoc Mon 12-Jan-15 19:48:44

Whatsa - I use runkeeper on my phone. I don't think it's accurate with my calories burnt though, loads less than my heart rate monitor says.

FullOfChoc Mon 12-Jan-15 19:49:31

Stats- let me know what you think when it turns up please.

Will report back - I eventually got fed up of waiting for them to release it here!

grumblepuss Mon 12-Jan-15 19:53:46

statistical - where did you find it? How much and did they have it in purple?

feckitall Mon 12-Jan-15 19:54:43

I posted in exercise..I've been looking at activity trackers and apps. I have a pedometer on my phone that seems quite accurate but I would like a tracker to monitor my sporting activity(up to 5 hours a week) as it is quite physical and having my phone on me isn't practical or safe.

FullOfChoc Mon 12-Jan-15 19:55:31

I liked the purple / plum too. But thought the black would go with everything. What did you go for Stats?

MagpieCursedTea Mon 12-Jan-15 19:55:44

Whatsa - I just use the health app that came with the last big iOS update.

Only1scoop Mon 12-Jan-15 19:55:45

I've had one for Christmas it's still in the box....

It's not out anywhere in the purple yet - the fitbit US site is showing 6-8 weeks for it. Very annoying as I want purple!

I ordered it from Brookstone, ended up being £150 including express shipping and UK takes etc. More expensive but it's helping keep me motivated so I don't care (and DH kindly donated, I bought him a fitbit one recently)

I was holding on to see if it would be released here but they just keep saying variants of "soon" and "early 2015" on facebook!

NotEntirelyWhelmed Mon 12-Jan-15 20:00:24

I have lost nine kilos since mid-November using the Fitbit. I am totally addicted to checking my stats.

FullOfChoc Mon 12-Jan-15 20:07:23

Sorry to keep on stats, but which size did you go for?

I just can't wait for it to arrive and you to try it!

Black will go with everything.

FullOfChoc Mon 12-Jan-15 20:08:34

Notentirely well done on the 9 kilos! - you are encouraging us to spend money in January...

I got the small - my wrists and hands are about the only small part of me grin

I went for black as I'm impatient, I want my new toy!

FullOfChoc Mon 12-Jan-15 20:09:44

Not for long! Once you get your fitbit all of you will get small!

newrecruit Mon 12-Jan-15 20:09:55

I have the health app but I only have an iPhone4 so it doesn't gather any data confused.

I use Nike+ to track my running.

Do you think I would just be better upgrading my phone. It tends to be with me at all times and I have an armband for running.

Racmactac Mon 12-Jan-15 20:58:33

I got the Fitbit charge and have been using it for about a week and I really like it.
Anyone want to be my Fitbit friend?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now