Advanced search

Introducing weights/ resistance work

(10 Posts)
glinda Sun 11-Jan-15 13:07:18

Hi all,
I have recently lost a significant amount of weight through diet and cardio work at the gym. I am nudging the top end of a healthy BMI now and feeling much better, but I can also tell just how untoned I am! So, I summoned all my courage and got one of the trainers at the gym to set me a programme using the weights machines. 2 days later I feel VERY achy in a good way IYKWIM.
However, I still have a stone or so to lose. Should I expect my weight loss to slow? This would be ok if I was still losing fat, but gaining muscle. I just want to be prepared as I don't want to lose motivation.
Thanks for any comments or advice.

Littlepumpkinpie Sun 11-Jan-15 13:53:37

To loose body fat it's more the diet than anything else. Fats burn the fat and eating clean foods at regular intervals through out the day. Drinking plenty of water and low carbs. Lifting heavy will help burn fat and tone(sorry hate that term) once leaner you should gain some muscle

avocadotoast Sun 11-Jan-15 13:57:17

If you're still eating as you have been throughout your weight loss then you should still lose.

Muscle isn't actually heavier than fat (that's a common myth) but it is denser, so you'll look leaner if you tone/build muscle even if you don't lose any weight.

RJnomore Sun 11-Jan-15 14:09:58

Muscle uses more calories to maintain than fat does so you may increase weight loss. If not you will still find you look better and feel stronger though. Don't obsess over the scales.

glinda Sun 11-Jan-15 14:17:10

Thanks for the replies. My eating is remaining as it has through the weight loss so hopefully the losses will continue.

Pumpkin - Sorry if I am using the wrong terminology. I am new to all this. By untoned I just mean wobbly - and I would like to firm up a bit. I would love to know how I should phrase this as I suspect that "toning" gives away my rapidly advancing years!
Could you explain - "Fats burns the fat" for me? It all sounds very cryptic!

glinda Sun 11-Jan-15 14:25:57

Thanks RJnomore.
I agree that I need to reduce the importance of the scales now. It has been a great motivator to see the pounds drop off (almost 4 stones) but I think that I need to see a different kind of progress now - shape, strength, speed? I guess I am talking about wellbeing, but I am the kind of person who needs tangible targets to stay motivated. Any ideas?

grumblepuss Sun 11-Jan-15 16:50:28

Tape measure!
Measure yourself... Or do it with a pair of jeans or something?

RJnomore Sun 11-Jan-15 19:43:04

How much can you lift?

That's the type of target that keeps me going!

Littlepumpkinpie Sun 11-Jan-15 21:02:48

Hi Glinda
Fats burn fat in the kitchen so in your diet you need fats natural ones. Advocado, coconut oil, olive oil, rapeseed oil, unsalted plain nuts add these into a clean eating diet and the fat on your body will melt slowly away those wobbly bits you want to tone will actually melt away as its fat.
Now the clean eating explained if I grows in the ground on a bush tree or come from an animal its food. If its in a can packet tub its got stuff in I that adds fat even when it says on it zero fat is in fact full of sugars and these should be eaten as a treat now and again.
Happy Lifting go heavy your not going to get huge that's a myth

ge0101 Tue 13-Jan-15 09:25:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now