Talk

Advanced search

How to get fitter: help for the chronically lazy and exercise resistant needed

(10 Posts)
FeckthisFrankie Sun 11-Jan-15 08:20:07

So my New Years resolution (like a million other sheep) is to get fitter.
I'm very overweight and going to try and start dealing with that by getting back to 5:2.
I like walking. I don't like any other form of exercise! Actually I don't mind swimming but hate the associated faff (blimey, I wonder why I'm unfit hmm grin)
So I'm looking for some low impact stuff to start me on my fitness journey.
I can't start running (couch to 5k) as a fractured knee has put pay to that sort of high impact stuff for the moment. Knee is healed now but still achey and sore - which I'm hoping will improve with weight loss and improved fitness.
Any other suggestions?

Justputyourshoesonnow Sun 11-Jan-15 08:22:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sun 11-Jan-15 08:23:27

I have a rebounder. Whenever I get the urge to do some exercise at home I do that, you can watch tv at the same time and it's cery effective at burning calories apparently

MuttonCadet Sun 11-Jan-15 08:26:50

Would walking be okay? You could maybe take a neighbours dog out?

I've just got a fitbug that measures steps and sets goals etc which I'm finding quite good fun (and they are half price in Tesco).

meandjulio Sun 11-Jan-15 08:28:13

Cycling is a lot of fun, would your knee stand up to that?

FeckthisFrankie Sun 11-Jan-15 08:57:17

I have a fitbit so will be aiming to improve my step count.

Cycling is difficult because I live on the side of a hill. Whilst I could manage wheeling down smile there is no way I would manage the return journey (about a mile), it is also a narrow, fast lane with no pavement so I don't honestly have the confidence for it. I don't have a bike but if I did it wouldn't fit in our car anyway to take it elsewhere to ride. I am aware those all sound like a million excuse, I do like the idea of cycling (which is why I have thought about it before!)

Anyone tried an exercise bike? Thought I could see if anyone has one on freecycle as I know people buy them and then they sit gathering dust for years on end!

500Decibels Sun 11-Jan-15 09:03:52

Walking is fine! Especially if hills are involved and it's brisk. Carry on with that.

You could do some toning exercises at home. Maybe some yoga.
I think the Tae Bo volume 1 is a good DVD for beginners.
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0000634ED/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1420966978&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=51nGZo16xtL&ref=plSrch

meandjulio Sun 11-Jan-15 09:12:22

smile I see why you don't cycle. Maybe think about hiring bikes when you go on holiday.

defineme Sun 11-Jan-15 09:16:16

My neighbour gave me an exercise bike. It's great if you make it part of your routine. It's quiet enough to watch tv so I watch the same daily programme whilst doing it. Asda have one for £99.

CadiM Sun 11-Jan-15 12:24:44

I agree with 500, walking is fabulous exercise, particularly if you pick up your speed and get some hills in. I have a fitbit too and it's great motivation. Have you come across fitnessblender.com? They have hundreds of free workouts and if you use the search facility you can find lots of low impact options for cardio and strength training.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now