Talk

Advanced search

Sprint Triathlon - several questions

(12 Posts)
Meggymoodle Tue 06-Jan-15 13:46:20

First time on the "exercise board" so a quick hello.

I have signed up for a sprint triathlon in June and am slightly anxious about training for 3 disciplines. I generally run (well plod) and have done a couple of halfs (a long time ago) and more recently a 10k. I am OK fitness-wise but not brilliant.

So - first question - I can swim, but I can't swim crawl with any degree of success - can one "breaststroke" a tri or is it possible to learn crawl efficiently without dying a death at the end of each length? It's a pool swim.

2. Do I need a tri-suit? If not how do you do about a sports bra?

3. How am I going to fit in training for 3 disciplines and do I need to be doing anything other than general fitness at the moment given it's 6 months away?

Any other info from seasoned triathletes gratefully received!

Thanks a lot

CMOTDibbler Tue 06-Jan-15 14:54:38

I wouldn't call myself seasoned at all, but I've done two sprint tris now, and will do some more this year.

You could do breaststroke if you really wanted, but crawl is much more efficient. Get a few lessons, and it will come together really quickly. People swear by Swim Smooth, but I found a local tri coach, and the 1:1 lessons in a private pool were amazing.

A tri suit or tri specific top and shorts is much more comfortable than trying to swim in proper cycle shorts that then absorb lots of water. I got a £14.99 one just to use at first. I need a bra, and found an anita one which hasn't got cotton in the cups so dries out.

You can find 12 week plans online, but the earlier you start the better. Most of your time comes from the bike leg, so between getting faster on that, and getting a good crawl going theres plenty to keep you busy!

I try to train 6 days a week, which isn't always possible and I'm just ramping up again after cutting back in December for a rest. Our family event spreadsheet for this year is a thing of beauty (indexed for event type, who is doing it if we can't all do it, distance choices), so I can't let down the side!

Meggymoodle Tue 06-Jan-15 15:53:06

Thanks so much for the answers. Our local tri-club do a beginner's swim class on a Friday so I might try those out and see if it'll help. It's the time I'm concerned about - what with 2 small children and a full-time job (albeit from home, so I can get out for a run at lunch-time) and a husband that also needs to be out training plus church commitments it's a bit hit and miss - I need your family spreadsheet!

DH used to be a semi-pro cyclist in his dim and distant youth so I've done a bit of biking under his "instruction" but never raced and my arse hasn't touch a bike saddle since last August or thereabouts so I'm slightly nervous about that bit - must get on with it!

Thanks again.

CMOTDibbler Tue 06-Jan-15 16:02:30

I work FT from home too (though I travel for work as well) - training gets fitted around everything else.
Fortunately, at 8 my ds is old enough to go swimming with me - I do the serious distances at lunchtimes though, and we cycle as a family. Last year he was doing 20 mile cycle events, now he's looking to 50 miles so dh can do the long course, and we do the short

Meggymoodle Tue 06-Jan-15 16:23:56

You could be me - I work FT from home but travel 2 days a week. However, my kids are 4 and 5 which is not really old enough for training partners! Give it time!

I think I'm going to have to do the swimming early doors - yuck - and then the run at lunch time. Cycling will either have to be turbo trainer or wait until the evenings are lighter!

It'll come together, I don't need to break any records. smile

grumblepuss Wed 07-Jan-15 09:42:17

Can you convince your ex pro husband that a turbo trainer would be a good idea? I'm sure he'd love it too...
We've got one which lives in our cellar, people I know have them in garages.
Get the bike miles going without going out in the rain.
I wore my shock absorber sports bra under my tri suit (separate vest and shorts) it dried pretty quickly.

Meggymoodle Wed 07-Jan-15 10:20:39

We've got a turbo trainer grumblepuss in our cellar too smile. I HATE it, I find it the most mind numbingly boring thing ever. DH uses it a lot in the winter. (When we lived in a smaller house with no cellar he used to do it in the kitchen and then have to mop the floor for the puddle of sweat - bleeeuuuurgggh).

I find that if I watch a DVD I just twiddle my legs about and don't actually do anything. I will just have to change my mindset and get to it!

CMOTDibbler Wed 07-Jan-15 10:26:42

It is mind numbing. I hate running on treadmills too, but sometimes the only choice when I'm away.
You could try Sufferfest training videos - dh tells me they are free with a Strava premium membership, though I just tend to put my headphones on and slog it out on intervals.

Meggymoodle Wed 07-Jan-15 11:11:57

I just need to get on with it!

grumblepuss Wed 07-Jan-15 12:16:59

We've only had ours a week or so. We've got a computer down there now so its going to be training videos/ Netflix.
At least on the treadmill you're at the gym and can watch other people.

Meggymoodle Wed 07-Jan-15 14:07:27

Yes puss that's my view - plus on the treadmill unless you actively press the off button you don't have the option to stop really. Our turbo trainer has always been part of our married life :/ tragic......

ToBeeOrNot Sun 11-Jan-15 14:49:44

I think it's worth the effort to learn freestyle, you have the time available. Swimsmooth www.swimsmooth.com/ has some good stuff to work through.

My first sprint tri I just wore a decent sports bra (not cotton), under a swimsuit, then leggings and top over everything once out the pool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now