Talk

Advanced search

Is there a swimming equivalent of C25K?

(15 Posts)
AChickenCalledKorma Mon 05-Jan-15 16:25:43

Need to get off the couch ...

Foot problems prevent me from running but I like the idea of C25K. I have a half-hearted habit of swimming at lunchtime. So I'm wondering if there is a similar programme that would give me some structure and motivation to build up my fitness?

(Have had a bit of a google and found Swimfit on the ASA web page, but am finding the website incomprehensible and have given up trying to find the details!)

shinysparklythings Mon 05-Jan-15 18:03:11

Watching with interest! Not allowend to run after yet another knee op

Shirleycantbe Mon 05-Jan-15 18:08:27

Well 5K of swimming in a 25m pool would be.......200 lengths. Ouch. I have worked up to 80 lengths recently and am pretty please with that but would be up for the challenge if others are!!

eightytwenty Mon 05-Jan-15 18:15:24

You could register for a postal swim - basically swim as far as you can in an hour. Last year I did 2425m, so aiming for 2500 this year. A 5k would in theory take me over 2 hours. But interested to see what other ideas people have.

eightytwenty Mon 05-Jan-15 18:17:15

www.bldsa.org.uk

PrincessOfChina Mon 05-Jan-15 18:30:37

Marking my place as I'm interested to know if this exists. I was a distance swimmer many moons ago and reckon it'd be great exercise to build back up to 5k once this baby is born.

Claybury Mon 05-Jan-15 20:53:13

Erm well 5k of swimming and 5k of running are not comparable. 10k of swimming is considered to be a swimming marathon so C25k, which I believe to be a 'get running ' programme would maybe more equivalent to 1500m or so of swimming.

5k is a -monster-- big swim !

eightytwenty Tue 06-Jan-15 10:11:55

Friends in Sweden are doing a swim 20k before 31.1. Could you do a version of that, increasing the distances per month?

AChickenCalledKorma Tue 06-Jan-15 16:45:35

grin Sorry - should have been clearer. I don't mean building up to 5K specifically. That's way out of my league!

What I'm looking for is a programme that would help me gradually build up fitness, through the medium of swimming, and give me a goal that is achievable with a bit of effort. Maybe that would be 1500m - I don't know, which is why I need a programme!

BatterseaParker Tue 06-Jan-15 16:48:45

There is a site called Myswimfit which has all sorts of swimming programmes from absolute beginner (couch) to competition level (marathon) i found it really motivating. Stops you getting bored and you can feel the progress!

Knottyknitter Tue 06-Jan-15 16:49:38

T30 is a good one.

Swim for thirty mins counting number of lengths. Breaks are fine if you need them but count against your time so the fewer you take the more lengths you'll squeeze in.

I got up to 56 breast stroke or 52 front crawl before pregnancy, and I'll do it again after.

CMOTDibbler Tue 06-Jan-15 17:07:21

I haven't done it, but Swimfit seems to be the sort of thing you are looking for.

When I started swimming properly, I broke it up into sets of lengths - so at first it was a length of crawl, pause and breath, and repeat until I had done 20 lengths. Then 2 lengths, and so on. Then once I could just keep going up and down I upped the number of lengths, and challenge myself to do x in y time. I concentrate on different parts of the stroke for a couple of lengths at a time

Kaffiene Fri 09-Jan-15 18:12:36

There is a speedo app that gets you to 3k if I remember rightly

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/speedo-fit-swim-fitness/id385166726?mt=8

ToBeeOrNot Sun 11-Jan-15 14:44:45

Are you after just improving fitness or also stroke as well?

Swimsmooth has some good advice on the latter

Lardylassnomore Sun 18-Jan-15 07:46:44

Thanks for the Speedo app link. Will use it to track my swims!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: