Talk

Advanced search

Please help me figure out how to be more active

(12 Posts)
kate1516 Mon 05-Jan-15 07:52:47

I need to get fitter but have very little time. I always feel tired and anxious and am hoping exercise might help but hard to motivate myself whilst feeling down so need something realistic I won't mess up straight away.

My day goes like this;

5:30 get up and get ready for work
6:15 leave for work
7:15 arrive at work
work all day with usually lunch at my desk. Job is busy and entirely delivery focused. Most people do lots of overtime but as I need to do the nursery run I can't. My compromise is to work through lunch.
Leave at 4-4:30
Get to nursery at 5-5:30 depending on traffic
5:30-7 is time with my d's. Not exercising in this time other than running or dancing or whatever he wants as this is the nest bit of my day.
7-8:30 cook tea, do housework
8:30-9 sit and relax!
9 bed

DS still wakes in the nights quite often as is ill a lot due to being at nursery.

My ideas were more walking and stairs not lifts at lunch. One walks or gym class at weekends. Feels not enough though. Any ideas?

Thank you

Doublethecuddles Mon 05-Jan-15 10:17:35

My DH gave me a fitbit flex for Christmas. It monitors how many steps you walk in a day. I have found it quite motivating, encouraging me to walk more and faster. After tea I have been going for a quick walk around the village to increase steps. You can monitor your progress on your phone.
Can you go out for family walks at the weekend with DS on scooter or bike to keep the pace up? Can you go swimming at the weekend and leave OH to look after DS while you do a few lengths of the pool?
Good luck, I know it's. It east to fit exercise into daily life.

RoRoRosie Mon 05-Jan-15 13:16:25

wow, you have a full schedule.

I am reading here because I am also trying to find ways to exercise in my busy days with work and children. I am also doing it in the hope of improving my tiredness and mood.

I see three possibilities for you:

1. get up at 5am for 30 mins before the day starts?
I can hear the groan, I am thinking of getting up 30 mins earlier too. It´s going to be hard but at least the exercise is done for the day and only need one shower a day.

2. Do 30 mins after dc are in bed at 7.00?
This is what dh and I used to do, but now the dc are older and we all eat together, it´s not possible

3. can someone stay home with dc while you go to a class?
I am also thinking of this, getting someone to pick up and look after ds for one hour so I can go to class from 17:30 to 18:30.

I also have a step counter, it`s been good to see how much I need to walk to get up to the 10,000 steps a day. But for me this isn`t aerobic enough.

how old are your dc? can you let them play in the park and run round them? I´ve done this too, when they were old enough not to fall off swings, or crash off slides.

I´m going to start by taking small steps, otherwise it will just give up. It´s hard to find the energy after a day´s work.

kate1516 Mon 05-Jan-15 13:24:01

Thanks. A step counter sounds good actually. No hiding from the facts so should be motivating!

The thought of getting up at 5 makes me cry haha but maybe a 30 min dvd on evenings is a good idea. Used to go to a gym before having my son but travel time means now trickier.

My DS is 18 months so bit too young to play out or come running with me but in a year or so that might work.

Thanks!

glenthebattleostrich Mon 05-Jan-15 13:36:01

You could try the shred DVD in an evening or davinas new one. Both are short workouts

26Point2Miles Mon 05-Jan-15 13:40:23

And weekends? Can you fit something in?

What's the commute? Possible to leave the car halfway and run/walk to it on both journeys?

kate1516 Mon 05-Jan-15 15:58:35

I should be able to do something at the weekends. We are away a lot as family are spread out but even if I am away we should have time for a walk.

Commute is a 45 mins down the motorway so not possible to stop somewhere unfortunately. My walk from the car park is 15 mins though.

AyMamita Mon 05-Jan-15 16:39:06

Aim to do your 15 minute car park walk in 10 minutes. Take stairs at work instead of lifts. Batch cook on weekends to free up weekday evenings for 30 day shred, or get DH to do it 3 days a week...

26Point2Miles Mon 05-Jan-15 16:41:02

Yes,power walk it.... Just 'a walk' won't really cut it

kate1516 Mon 05-Jan-15 18:14:52

Thanks guys. Good suggestions. Walked up and down the stairs to my floor at the office on the third floor three times today so good start. Power walked back to the car and going to order some dvds tonight. Are 10 minute solution ones any good?

AyMamita Tue 06-Jan-15 09:16:53

Better than nothing! smile

ge0101 Tue 13-Jan-15 09:31:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: