Talk

Advanced search

your inspirational running stories please!

(8 Posts)
CheeseBored Fri 02-Jan-15 21:53:20

you know, the sort about how much weight you've lost, how toned you are, how amazing you feel.....that sort.

I have been for a run these past 3 days in a row - psyching myself up for a morning one tomorrow, which I find harder. I do find it excellent thinking time - I have some great moments of clarity! My other conclusion is: you never regret going for a run!

And a question: can you run wearing glasses?

TIA

EdithDickie Fri 02-Jan-15 22:32:45

Definitely agree with the thinking time! So good for me mentally speaking, totally credit it with getting me through an awful bout of depression and anxiety last spring.

Have never regretted a run. No matter how hard and slogging it's felt at the time I always feel better for it.

I have gone from struggling to run for 1 minute without stopping to being able to run for over an hour.

I have lost 23 lbs.

My legs are strong and toned and my ass is awesome! I know that sounds really bigheaded but I honestly can't believe how much difference it's made to my lower body!

In short I absolutely love running! grin

EdithDickie Fri 02-Jan-15 22:34:22

On the glasses question, I wear glasses for driving, cinema, that kind of thing, and have worn them for a few runs when I've driven somewhere and started running before realising I didn't leave them in the car. Seemed fine to me smile

Suzannewithaplan Fri 02-Jan-15 23:28:03

I tend to wear contacts with wrap around sunglasses for running, keeps the wind and sun out of my eyes.
Running is ime the most time efficient way of controlling body fat, I have to make an effort to eat more when running to avoid disappearing altogether!

KiaOraOAotearoa Fri 02-Jan-15 23:45:22

I run with glasses on. It's fine. I'm really blind without them though.

I treasure sneaking out of the house before anybody is up. I run for 30 min, my time to myself. I listen to music, look at leaves, views, I just relax mentally. I can't do grocery lists or think of sorting anything out, it's my time to be free.
The thing is: I am addicted to running now. I am looking forward to the next run. It's my little luxury I don't feel guilty about.

messalina Fri 09-Jan-15 19:04:35

I LOVE running! Have been running for two and a half years now. Never considered myself sporty at school. And it has changed my perception of myself. I can outrun twenty something men now and power up hills. It is the BEST thing. Keep it up! What is so great about running it that it is actually so varied:

- you can run for pure joy in the hills on your own or on forest tracks and not care how slow or fast you go
- you can pound the pavements at a cracking pace and feel almost immortal
- you can run without a plan
- or with big targets in mind

It is just such a flexible sport. And for adrenhaline there is nothing like racing! And it is very sociable if you join a club.

messalina Fri 09-Jan-15 19:11:30

It is also fantastic taking your pulse and realising just how fit you are! I was on a first aid course and we had to take our pulses and tell the instructor what ours was. Mine was very low and he asked me if I was a runner. I felt as if I had arrived! Am such a running geek! Start taking it now every morning as you wake up and watch it drop as you get fitter. I started running to tone up after losing baby weight and now I run without a care for body image. I run because I love to run.

Have you been on Runners World website? It has lots of helpful advice. The Running Bug is also good. And Parkrun is a fantastic, inspirational UK phenomenon.

BikeRunSki Fri 09-Jan-15 19:11:54

I do everything with glasses on, biking, running, skiing (see username), getting out of Bec for a wee in the middle of the night and even have prescription swimming goggles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now