Talk

Advanced search

Hybrid bike recommendations

(7 Posts)
PhoebeMcPeePee Fri 02-Jan-15 10:47:01

I'm in desperate need of a new bike but very limited budget so searching ebay/gumtree in the hope of bagging a bargain wink.

I've been looking for a Specialized vita (2010/11 models were going for £200/250 which is about my limit) but none have come up locally in my size so need to expand the search to other makes/models. Requirements are mainly road cycling (doing ride london) but ability to tackle the odd track or less than smooth cycle path & Not wild about drop handlebars.

Any suggestions?

Poppiesway Fri 02-Jan-15 15:14:41

Oooh will watch this.
I'm doing a 400 mile In 4 days in May and need a new bike. I currently only do 30 max on my town bike.
I've been recommended one with drop handles as apparently it's easier when you've got a speed up. But as im the only girl doing his with 15 men I only have male advice. Would like a female cyclists advice!!

CMOTDibbler Fri 02-Jan-15 17:34:52

My hybrid is a Specialized ariel disc which I have put narrower, smoother tyres on. I really like it, but it is heavy if you are doing a lot of road cycling.

My new road bike (am vvv excited about this) is a Cannondale Synapse alloy. As I'm tall, a mens bike doesn't worry me, and unless you are short, it doesn't make a lot of difference, and theres a lot more choice in mens bikes.

PhoebeMcPeePee Fri 02-Jan-15 19:34:58

Oh so maybe a road bike might be worth considering afterall as I really want something lightweight. I guess I'm just a bit nervous making the leap from knackered old mountain bike to a true road bike but ultimately it is for road riding/racing & I can keep my old mountain bike for going on family trails etc). Totally flummoxed now confused.

pootlebug Fri 02-Jan-15 19:43:39

I have a road bike, and got a Specialized Ariel hybrid for Christmas as I wanted to be able to cycle the river paths etc (I hate the traffic on the roads).

I really like the Specialized a lot, and it feels fine on the roads as well as tracks, but tbh it doesn't feel as fast and efficient as a decent road bike. My road bike is a carbon-framed 2012 Jamis Xenith Endura Sport like this www.evanscycles.com/products/jamis/xenith-endura-sport-2012-womens-road-bike-ec031747 It was £300 on Ebay in good condition (original RRP was around £1k I think). One of the reasons that I got a decent bike for the price is that Jamis are a less-well-known brand in the UK - whereas it seems everyone wants a Specialized/Giant etc. Also I did look for quite a while.

I'd look into less well known brands that still have reasonable quality components on them. And I really would try and see if you can get over the drop handlebar thing if you're going to do distances on the roads.

CMOTDibbler Fri 02-Jan-15 19:47:07

Its not that bad, honestly. Its like all the hoo haa about riding with cleats - yes it requires a bit of thought coming up to junctions, but not that much and the benefits are massively worth it.

Some road bikes are more twitchy than others, but I think at the low end/ non carbon you don't get that so much. Mine is described as 'sportive focussed' if that helps looking at reviews.

PhoebeMcPeePee Fri 02-Jan-15 22:42:37

I've found a nice looking specialized allez in my size asking £250 which I'm going to look at on Sunday and just waiting to hear back about looking at a cannondale too grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now