Talk

Advanced search

Is yoga becoming more and more popular or it's just me?

(11 Posts)
Mary65 Fri 02-Jan-15 09:42:18

Hi all! I was wondering if anybody feels the way I feel. I've started doing yoga a year ago and it has been a fantastic experience. I never thought learning yoga from videos can do so much good for you if you stick to it. I do feel however, this sport of the mind, body and spirit is becoming more and more popular even in the younger generation and I think that's brilliant. My daughter is in her first year at University and she's into yoga as well. I was thinking to make her a surprise and book a yoga-holiday for next summer, but I'm not sure where to start? Any recommendation? Thank you all!

Mary

sooperdooper Fri 02-Jan-15 09:44:49

I think it's always been popular, I've been going for years smile

A yoga holiday sounds fab, never done one myself but I've seen them advertised for places in the lake district

Suzannewithaplan Fri 02-Jan-15 10:42:35

Yoga styles seem to have expanded, I think people have used youtube to share ideas and take a more creative approach to yoga. There has also been some blending with pilates ‎

skildpadden Fri 02-Jan-15 10:44:24

Yoga is always being pushed by sites like mind body green.

Personally yoga makes me feel a rage. I prefer kickboxing. I feel nice and calm after kickboxing.

skildpadden Fri 02-Jan-15 10:45:23

lovely to be able to do it with your daughter thoguh.

Mary65 Tue 06-Jan-15 10:26:26

Yeah, I was quite surprised she would like to do something like that. I think I was reading a book about yoga and it just came in the conversation. So when I asked her if she like going in a yoga-holiday with me, she said yes. Now I need to find a place where they do stuff like this and where should I get started. As time goes by, they might get more and more expensive.

ItsGonnaBeCoolThisChristmas Tue 06-Jan-15 11:15:03

I have been to Yoga Plus in Crete several times (since the 90's) - it is a super awesome holiday and I've felt the best I've ever felt in my life after 2 weeks there there. (you can go for 1 week, but seriously change your life and go for 2). Lots of yoga, other activities on every session (nothing compulsory - its up to you), beautiful beach, cocktails and wine if you want them, really fantastic veggie & vegan meals provided (you can buy other meals at local taverna if you want meat/fish occasionally), and interesting people from all around the world.

If they don't have the 2015 dates up yet they will be up soon. www.yogaplus.co.uk

AggressiveBunting Tue 06-Jan-15 13:55:44

I like ashtanga so long as the teacher sticks to the physical and doesn't start spouting bollocks about stuff that is biologically incorrect- that does give me the rage. I think the physical benefits of yoga as a restorative practice are also better known so it's becoming more mainstream. Before, many people thought it was just for hippies.

Mary65 Fri 09-Jan-15 09:51:46

AggressiveBunting If it used to be just for hippies, maybe the hippies knew better, right? smile Crete sounds really good, thank you! I will look into it. Thanks everybody for you opinions, If I find something interesting, I'll share it with you.

BeCool Fri 09-Jan-15 10:49:30

they are serious about yoga, but this is balanced with respect for your holiday too, so it's not like an ashram and it's not dogmatic at all. It is a great fun holiday, with some serious well supported yoga to start the day.

Claybury Fri 09-Jan-15 12:29:38

A regular yoga practice is transformational. It's impossible to explain this to the uninitiated. I'm an athlete and on the physical side it keeps me injury free from the other stuff I do. However it goes so much further than that in its benefits - better sleep, better mental attitude, better posture, fewer aches and pains to name a few.
And it really is for everyone. The lady on the mat next me at my regular class is 92 years old- she doesn't want to be in pain and a drain on her family. What an inspiration.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now