Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help me get fit thank you please thank you :-)

(8 Posts)
Pooette Fri 02-Jan-15 01:25:12

I really want 2015 to be the year that I get properly fit. I'm ready for the challenge. Honest!

I've got some gym gear, joined a low cost local gym...but what should I actually be doing at the gym? How often? How long should a session be? etc etc

I'm not trying to lose weight especially. I'm a size 12, but incredibly unfit (i'm 37, but think decrepit old lady levels of fitness...get out of breath and my thighs burn after walking up one flight of stairs). I've never done ANY exercise EVER. Like...EVER.

I'd like to:
- massively improve my overall fitness and energy levels
- tone up a wobbly jelly belly
- build muscle in my skinny yet flabby legs
- have a pert bum instead of an arse that disappears into my thighs

I could commit to exercising 4-5 days a week time wise but feel totally clueless and daunted.

Any tips?

goodasitgets Fri 02-Jan-15 01:31:10

Basic stuff to do that you can make harder eventually smile
Squats - don't let knees go in front of your toes
Lunges
Interval training for fitness. Pick a machine, rower is good. Do 30 seconds at your max (really push it) then recover for 30. Repeat. Can recover for a min, build it up as needed
Is there an induction at gym? Might be worth booking a one off with personal trainer
Plank for abs
Youtube will show a lot of correct technique. If you have FB or instagram look for emily Skye as she shows a lot of short video workouts

grumblepuss Fri 02-Jan-15 15:56:24

Squats and lunges for your bum.
Body pump classes - weights class. You can then use the moves in the gym.
Circuits classes are good too. Go at your own pace, it'll hurt the first few times then get easier.
Have a play on the cardio machines. I cannot stand the bike or cross trainer, but I tolerate the rowing machine and tredmill.
Also take the stairs when you can (work/shopping etc) every little helps.

KittyandTeal Fri 02-Jan-15 16:05:05

I found classes were the best. I push myself harder then you can use what you've learnt in the gym on your own if you want.

I did (before SPD kicked in) Zumba because I love it, pump for toning, interval training/metafit for fitness and toning.

whatiswrongwithyou Fri 02-Jan-15 17:24:21

It sounds like you need a session with a trainer at your gym.

For me, getting fit at the gym means, 15-20 mins on the treadmill using the gradient (up to 10) and increase the speed, but only to a brisk walk, no running. Using the weights, either the machines, but even better the free weights - again, one of the trainers can show you how to lift, how many etc. Does your gym have TRX ropes? if so these are fantastic, these really work the core, stomach muscles and arms, shoulders and will really increase your strength (have a look on YouTube, there are loads of tutorials). For the bum, why not try the weighted gym balls. Throw them as hard as you can on the ground in front of you and squat to pick them up, see how many you can do in a minute, sounds easy, but exhausting!

I go all out and do about 50 mins to an hour 3 to 4 times a week, any more and I'm exhausted and not giving it my all.

Pooette Fri 02-Jan-15 18:57:25

Thanks all.

I'm starting on Tuesday when the kids go back to school and I'm actually quite excited grin.

I'm going to do an exercise DVD at the weekend to get the ball rolling, too.

If I exercise four times a week for 45-60 mins a pop, doing the mixture of cardio and weights mentioned - how long do you think it will be before I start to feel fitter? And how long before I start to see aesthetic results? The only real flab I have to burn is my belly. The rest of me is quite skinny but hopelessly untoned.

Tia x

Claybury Fri 02-Jan-15 21:06:45

If you can afford it 1-1 sessions with a trainer at the gym will really help and probably within 6 weeks you'll feel and look different.
I agree try out classes at your gym. Do they have Pilates ?
Can you fit some brisk walking -or walk / running into your week ? It's good to get outdoors and raise your heart rate that way. It also energises you.
Good luck and stick to it !

LumpySpacedPrincess Fri 02-Jan-15 21:32:55

This site is wonderful, I've used them for years. Lots of workouts for all abilities. all free too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now