Talk

Advanced search

Your sporting achievements of 2014, and aims for 2015?

(54 Posts)
CMOTDibbler Wed 31-Dec-14 15:06:09

What have you managed to do this year that you thought you couldn't, or hoped you could?

And what do you hope for 2015?

I ran further and faster than I could before, did two triathlons (a miracle as this time last year I couldn't swim freestyle at all and could barely cycle), rode in a number of cycle events and did my first proper sportive. I'm planning on more triathlon, Velothon Wales, and getting a lot faster on the bike now I have a road bike.

DH couldn't cycle 3 miles in March 2014. He's now done just under 3000 miles since then and cycles at 17mph. He's planning on doing Ride London in 2015 and starting to swim.

DS(8) has done a childrens triathlon, a good number of cycle events, and ridden up to 40 miles in one morning. He wants to do more sportives, and ride consistently at 13mph so he can join the C ride of our local bike club.

I'm really proud of us all, esp DH who has lost a lot of weight but still needs both knees, and probably his hip replacing and is in constant pain.

Sirzy Wed 31-Dec-14 16:36:07

Nothing compared to you but I finished the Manchester 10k which given that 12 months before I couldn't have walked 5k was a massive achievement.

I did that in 1 hr 27 so in 2015 I want to do it in under 1 hr 20

emummy Wed 31-Dec-14 18:51:09

I got under 29 minutes for a 5k and did my first 10ks. Dh took up running and has finished c25k. Dd2 has started running and came in the top ten of her first cross country race.
In 2015 I will do my first half marathon and hopefully get a bit faster at 10k. Would also like to do more trail races, but up here they all seem to involve big hills!
Also being persuaded into a triathlon at the moment - we'll see!

MandMand Wed 31-Dec-14 19:09:07

I ran my first 10k and half marathon races this year - have signed up to do another half marathon in March and hope to improve my time from the 2 hrs 11 mins I did it in last time!

26Point2Miles Wed 31-Dec-14 19:20:10

Ran race for life 10k in 1hr 5min.... Sobbing all the way round as my dc had made a playlist of songs to remind me of mum who passed away 7 years ago of cancer!

Then I ran the Milton Keynes half marathon! Amazing! Loved it

Few years s ago I did 3 peaks national challenge so in the summer we had a holiday in Wales and climbed snowdon... Teens and little one

My DC have also ran parkrun a few times this year with me

speedbird17 Wed 31-Dec-14 19:28:10

Climbed Mt Fuji, personal best on a 3k run, 10k walk and just generally fitter smile

Next year, take it easy until DS is born then get back on it and hopefully climb Mt Fuji again smile

CMOTDibbler Wed 31-Dec-14 20:07:58

Sirzy, thats a pretty amazing acheivement imo

Emummy - give tri a go. The pool based ones are fun and as you go in your swimming speed order, you'll be with ladies of similar ability so its not intimidating.

I think its really inspiring to hear peoples stories, esp as the magazines are usually of the 'I was a couch potato, took up running/cycling and found I was a race winner' variety

EauRouge Wed 31-Dec-14 20:30:52

I did my first HM in 2014. In 2015 I just want to be able to run again! Fecking hamstrings have been awful since not long after my HM, and that was in March sad

26Point2Miles Wed 31-Dec-14 21:14:43

How do you 'do' mount Fiji??

Mitchy1nge Wed 31-Dec-14 22:31:04

I just squeaked past 1000 logged miles (1099.45 to be precise) according to Garmin, burning over 86,000 calories. shock

Did my first off road half marathon, which was hopefully first of many races with some of my (also many) siblings. No firsts in terms of distance or times but really pleased to have mostly got over calf strain and other problems.

CMOTDibbler Thu 01-Jan-15 09:33:26

Well done Mitchy! Running with your siblings sounds great

Injuries are a beggar, hoping your hamstrings sort themselves out soon Eau

PhoebeMcPeePee Thu 01-Jan-15 15:33:00

2014 lost 3.5 stone & started getting fit grin - I can cycle 30km, run 5km and actually enjoy my weekly circuits/HIIT session.

In 2015 I'm doing RideLondon first then along with Ds (8) & DH we are all doing our first triathlon.

CMOTDibbler Thu 01-Jan-15 17:00:28

Sounds great Phoebe - will you all be doing your first tri at the same event?

Mitchy1nge Thu 01-Jan-15 18:03:04

am tempted to set goal of Athens marathon for this autumn/winter

it looks hilly and hard, would prob take me ages to get round, but can't stop thinking about it

www.athensauthenticmarathon.gr/

speedbird17 Thu 01-Jan-15 18:43:13

Mount Fuji is the tallest mountain in Japan, just outside Tokyo - I am cabin crew and work to Japan every now and then. I worked a flight there, climbed Fuji overnight on my layover, and had the most incredible experience, it was mentally the most challenging thing I have ever done, but so, so rewarding to get to the top!! My mum is flying out next year to climb it smile

annabanana19 Thu 01-Jan-15 18:52:03

Completed 13.1 miles in 2hrs 12 mins. 2nd HM but 1st time running all of it with our stopping. Felt fucking amazing!

Manchester 10k last year was my worst 10k. 1hr 4 mins and I was unwell. I really shouldn't have done it as I had a chest infection & hadn't trained & the heat was awful. But I'm back again in May to get in under 58 mins.

I have a few races booked up now & aim to get 10 in this year. ranging from 5k to HM.

WastingMyYoungYears Thu 01-Jan-15 19:54:15

Last year, I did C25K - I know it's a small achievement relative to a lot on this thread, but I'm really pleased that I did it.

This year, I want to do a ParkRun or 52 grin, and just enjoy running.

actiongirl1978 Thu 01-Jan-15 20:20:56

Mitchy wow Athens sounds hard! How many marathons have you done?

I always said no way to them, but the more I hear about them the more tempted i am, though would be the longest slowest run ever I think!

emummy Thu 01-Jan-15 20:20:56

Go to fit mitchy, have just read the reviews on marathon guide.com and it sounds amazing. I find myself strangely tempted by the Great Wall marathon in China, but not this year! Athens would be fab, lots hill training needed by the sound of it

emummy Thu 01-Jan-15 20:22:01

Of course that should have said go for it. Sigh. Too much wine, not enough sleep!

christinarossetti Thu 01-Jan-15 20:24:28

Took up running and did first 10km in 52 mins and first half marathon in 1 hr 44 mins.

Compensated for turning 45, finding my first grey hair and needing reading glasses!

yoursoulcannevergrowold Thu 01-Jan-15 20:40:27

CMOTDibbler are you still horse riding? I recognise your name from the Tack Room.

2014 was a bad year for me sports wise, I was quite lazy blush . I started Parkrun but only did it 3/4 times before an old injury flared up. Also had two cycling accidents.

My sporting goals for 2015:
- get some proper horse riding lessons. I ride a friend's horse but she is pretty old so just plodding/hacking and I would love to do dressage.

- Get back into Parkrun and do it in 26 mins (current best time 27.30). This is knee-injury permitting.

- Get back on my bikes, both road and mountain. I have lost a lot of confidence since two accidents in the early part of 2014, one involving an ambulance trip to A&E. My goal for 2015 is to build up confidence again and start riding sportives again on my road bike (I did a few in 2011/2012 and really enjoyed them) and to get back out on my mountain bike at somewhere life Afan in Wales.

yoursoulcannevergrowold Thu 01-Jan-15 20:41:06

like Afan not life

BistoBear Thu 01-Jan-15 20:47:08

In 2014 I started open water swimming and took part in my first Olympic distance open water triathlon. I completed a 90 mile cycle sportive with no training! I did my first running race over 10k which was 10 miles long. I completed the 100 mile Nijmegen 4 day march.

In 2015 I am hoping to beat my 10 mile road race time, I'm running my first half marathon and I will do my first half Ironman event in Austria.

After a very lazy December the training starts again tomorrow!

pootlebug Thu 01-Jan-15 20:50:43

I got up off the sofa and started exercising for the first time in years in November 2013. So my 2014 highs were 4 triathlons (2 sprint, 2 olympic), managed a top-10%-of-females finished in the London Tri Olympic distance. Focussed on running for a few weeks after that and did my first half marathon in 1.45. Parkrun PB of 22.41.

2015 challenges are supposed to include Brighton Marathon in April and Staffordshire half Ironman in June. I developed plantar fasciitis 4 weeks ago though sad, so would be thrilled if I can just stay uninjured. It does feel much better, and I tried my first 20 minute run yesterday and it was pain-free…..so now I need to get back into it, stretch a lot, and hope for the best. I am so out of shape now though - I was already in slack-off mode before i got injured but was expecting to ramp back up through December. Now I feel unfit, I've got a horrid cold, it's cold outside and dark all the times I usually exercise, and I'm really lacking my usual motivation and positive focus.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now