Talk

Advanced search

Beginer runner and feeling sick!

(15 Posts)
Nells77 Wed 31-Dec-14 14:02:24

Hi, I started running at the beginning of November and I love it smile I've been doing really well and have managed to get my 3.2 mile run down to 27.30 mins. I've managed a couple of longer runs (4.6miles) but when I've done these I feel really sick at the end! I've just done my 3.2 mile and felt sick after that too. Does anyone else get this? Could I be going to fast before I'm ready? When I've done my bigger runs I'm going about the same pace as my shorter runs! I really want to get upto 6 miles in the next couple of weeks but I'm worried I'll be puking on the streets shock!!!!
Thanks

26Point2Miles Wed 31-Dec-14 14:16:05

I always feel sick when I've eaten the wrong things. Even affects me from day before.

26Point2Miles Wed 31-Dec-14 14:16:26

Oh, and too much water!

Nells77 Wed 31-Dec-14 14:26:09

I do try to drink a bit of water before I go as I always feel so thirsty! Maybe I'll lay off it straight before I go and hopefully that'll help smile

addictedtosugar Wed 31-Dec-14 14:35:41

That's very fast! And it also sounds like your building up quite quickly. I've seen suggested an increase of no more than 10%a week. I'd slow down for the longer runs, and also try eating something small an he before running. I can drink about 200ml before running. Any more I feel it sloshing about!

HolgerDanske Wed 07-Jan-15 10:15:30

Don't have advice on feeling ill but wanted to reiterate what addicted said as it's very important. Please be very, very careful about building up too quickly. It's best to follow a plan so that you're sure you're not overloading your system. Especially with running this is a big temptation, and if you're new or don't quite know what you're doing it can cause injury and long-term conditions that are very painful, and difficult to address.

Couch to 5k is a good plan.

feetheart Wed 07-Jan-15 14:19:24

I've been running for about 6 years and I get this when I have run too fast - my parkrun PBs have nearly all involved me trying not to throw up on the home straight!
As others have said, take it a bit slower (especially on longer runs, they shouldn't be done at the same pace as short runs), build up gradually and find a local parkrun.
As you have found, running is quite addictive. Enjoy it but don't push yourself towards an injury.

Nells77 Thu 08-Jan-15 08:41:01

Thanks for you replies. It may sound daft but how do u slow down???? I just go at the pace I find comfortable and push myself in parts! I did 3.2m on Monday and knocked a minute off it but it wasn't really intentional If that makes sense!
I want to try the 4.6m run I do again at the weekend but feel abit nervous about it! I must say though on Monday I didn't feel sick!
I do really worry about injury as I'm a postie and if I do end up hurting myself it's mean I couldn't work either confused

MelanieCheeks Thu 08-Jan-15 13:24:26

What Feetheart said - I KNOW i'm close to pb time when I start to feel nauseous. I'm pushing my body absolutely to its limits.

Do you use a Garmin or anythign to tell you the pace you're running at?

Nells77 Thu 08-Jan-15 15:34:49

I use strava app. My last run was at an average pace of 8.19 minute a mile. I know it's a lot faster than when I started but not sure if it's genrally a good pace!! That's was for a 3.2 miles run. It's really hilly where I live too, not sure if that makes any difference!

feetheart Fri 09-Jan-15 17:24:57

It does depend a lot on your age but 8.19 is bloody fast in my rather old book - that's parkrun in 24ish mins smile
It might be worth seeing what you can find about age-grading and work it out from there - I'm new to Strava so don't know if you can do it on there. This will tell you how well you are doing compared to others of your age - the higher the % the better you are.
If that pace feels comfortable for 3.2 miles that's great but slow down a bit for a longer distance.

Nells77 Fri 09-Jan-15 18:00:26

Ooh never heard of age grading. Just done it on runners world and for 37 my best 5k puts me at 58.97% which I think is ok for a newbie??? I am comfortable with my 3.2m run its just hard slowing down to get my distance up. I think maybe I'm a better shorter faster runner than a longer slower runner. Hopefully over the months as I get better that might change smile

MelanieCheeks Fri 09-Jan-15 18:11:35

The thing about parkrun is, you're only ever racing yourself. The age grading thing is a great barometer of how you'd fare against similar aged runners, but really you need to work out what's a good result for you.

feetheart Sat 10-Jan-15 04:08:08

Nells - pretty damn good for a newbie. I am about the same though am a few 15 years older (the great thing about age-grading is you can compare regardless of age/gender) and I have been running for 6+ years. Joining a running club and running more consistently (often with people who are younger and faster than me though age isn't always a predictor of speed, one of the best in our group is 72 years old!) has meant I have got much better over the last 6 months and one of my aims for this year is to get as consistently as possible over 60%.
As for longer runs - build up slowly, no more than 10% increase in distance to your long run a week and do it at a steady speed (no pushing yourself bits smile) You will speed up over time but be patient for now or you will be sitting on the sidelines nursing an injury - your body needs to be allowed to adjust to what you are making it do!

feetheart Sat 10-Jan-15 04:08:57

Sorry, awake-in-the-middle-of--the-night ramble.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now