Talk

Advanced search

Broken collar bone

(3 Posts)
Nebbiolo Mon 29-Dec-14 21:33:27

I'm about 4 weeks into a broken collar bone, and I can feel my fitness rapidly disappearing. I normally run 3-4 times a week, total of about 15-20 miles, swim 1km a couple of times a week, and do weekly pilates, circuits and HIIT. The consultant tells me that I can do exercise that doesn't jolt or put stress on my broken collar hone, so I've been using the recumbent cycle at the gym, walking fast/hills on the treadmill, and also walking the dogs further than normal.

Can you think of anything else? Am desperately bored! I have access to a pretty good gym and swimming pool. I've talked about it with the gym instructors but I think they're worried about recommending things in case I fall/damage my clavicle etc. Thank you!

Showy Mon 29-Dec-14 21:42:53

Can you adapt your HIIT for a while so that the cardio bits are recumbent bike/fast walking/step ups (obviously not great but needs must) and try and do intervals of rear/front/side lunges, squats, abs work (bridge dips, crunches, rear crunches) etc.

You can also swim using just your legs on your back, plus some 'running' if there's a shallower end and you can keep your arm out of the water.

I wish you a speedy recovery. Don't rush it and remember your muscle memory will be excellent and you'll regain fitness quite quickly.

Nebbiolo Mon 29-Dec-14 22:26:09

Thank you - great suggestions. I also have comedy norks but can't get my running bra on so I'm having to contain them (vaguely) in a pilates crop top that I can step into - can't therefore do anything involving too much bouncing because of the risk to other gym users.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now