Talk

Advanced search

1st run....

(10 Posts)
Toomuchjiggleinmywiggle Wed 10-Dec-14 20:59:26

I've just got back from my first run in about a year a little while. I've never been a regular runner but I play netball a bit and wanted something extra to stop me sitting on my arse all night! Anyway I used the Nike run app on my phone and it's informed me I ran 1.32 miles in 16.33. I'm quite pleased that I never stopped but should I just give up already? Wondering if my 3 year old could have lapped me! grin I think I'm more naturally built for speed and short distances- all quads, glutes and shoulders confused

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Wed 10-Dec-14 21:04:29

Well done! I was built for comfort rather than speed or distance, so after a year an a half running, I'm only marginally faster than you envy Enjoy getting back into it.

Toomuchjiggleinmywiggle Wed 10-Dec-14 21:19:31

Thanks fruit! You'd think i had just ran a marathon by the state I have just came down the stairs in! smile To be honest I'm just amazed I did it without stopping!

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Wed 10-Dec-14 22:41:08

I know, every run I do, DH has to tell me how great I am...I'm just short of investing in some of those tinfoil blankets for after my 8km

Suzannewithaplan Wed 10-Dec-14 23:02:28

when I first started with the running I struggled to keep going for 16 seconds, never mind 16 minutesgrin

ArgyMargy Wed 10-Dec-14 23:05:12

I think the brilliant thing about running is how quickly you can add distance and speed. Don't beat yourself up, OP, you did fine for a first time out after so long. Next time will be easier, and the next, and the next. Soon you'll be doing 5k in 30. smile)

emummy Thu 11-Dec-14 12:39:10

The speed really isn't important at this point, it's the fact that you did it, so we'll done! If you can keep doing it you will get faster but the key thing is to be enjoying it and feel the benefits

fascicle Fri 12-Dec-14 20:17:07

Don't even consider giving up. That is a fantastic achievement. Clearly you have stamina and general fitness. Just keep going grin

annabanana19 Fri 12-Dec-14 21:44:05

don't give up!!!

Every run you'll do will be better than the last one. Keep going!

BlueChampagne Sat 13-Dec-14 23:10:08

Agree keep going - it will be good for your netball endurance. Don't forgetthe 10% rule - don't increase distance by more than 10% per week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now