Talk

Advanced search

running to loose weight.

(13 Posts)
Twotinygirls Tue 09-Dec-14 19:11:02

Hi.
I'm new to running, been doing excersize classes but have recently given up my gym membership.
Anyway basically I'm after stories of weight loss through running, how often / long do you run?
I'm also doing slimming world (after Christmas smile)
My goal is the great south run next October...Eek.

Bellejessleo Tue 09-Dec-14 19:16:28

I love running, am pregnant with dc3 at the moment so not doing much, but when I first started I did couch to 5k and then ran 5k 3-4 times per week for a few years. I lost about 1 stone, but the difference in my figure was amazing, toned legs and slim hips. It's very stress relieving too. Can't wait to start up again!!

iwantginsoakedXmas Tue 09-Dec-14 19:21:02

I wish I could share my stories about losing weight whilst running. It seems to be the opposite for me..

I have had a couple of months off running due to injury - but have been following weight watchers religiously(product tester!). I have lost loads of weight despite no running ..

Plan to go back to it this week - so hopefully a combo of exercise and the ww will shed more.

Just be aware and don't eat more to compensate for the exercise calories. It's always burning less than you might think smile

Twotinygirls Tue 09-Dec-14 19:22:25

Ooh i like the sound of toned legs and slim hips. So if i run every other day that would be good? I know I like running, it's so relaxing and I listen to womans hour! But I so want to see some results.

Twotinygirls Tue 09-Dec-14 19:23:58

Yes I'm definitely guilty of stuffing my face as a reward for excersize. The next few weeks are probably a right off but come Jan the eating has to stop.

emummy Wed 10-Dec-14 07:59:39

OP I listen to Women's Hour when running, thought it was just me! Yes, you o have to watch what you eat as ell. The running will certainly tone muscles and make you feel good. Good luck!

ALittleFaith Wed 10-Dec-14 17:27:25

I started running properly again in August (had a baby since last running). Since then I've lost almost a stone. I did my first half marathon in November! I lost about 2-3 a week. I started doing about 2 miles 3 times a week then gradually built up for my long runs on a weekend, (4 miles, 5 miles, 6, 8, 10) in the weeks before the half. I do about 15 minute miles (slow!) but gradually got faster. I can eat loads of carbs the day before a big run and still lose weight!

I haven't run for a month due to tiredness after the half and being ill. I've definitely lost tone since then but continue to lose weight slowly whilst doing WW, more like 1lb a week.

TheRealMaryMillington Wed 10-Dec-14 17:48:15

Hi Twotiny, there are a bunch of us over here who are trying to start early with some healthy eating why wait tip xmas?, come and join in if you fancy it

I have been doing advent running - basically the idea is you challenge yourself to do 30 mins running (or other exercise) per day for advent. It's been great, though I have done my knee in a bit through shoddy plodding technique on an old injury so its yoga for me until that feels good again, even in 8 days I noticed much better tone on my legs and hips. I'm not a total newbie but haven't run at all if I could help it regularly since before having my kids, so its been really nice and motivational. I'm going to c25k myself after xmas, knee permitting.

Twotinygirls Thu 11-Dec-14 18:37:30

Good to hear all your stories. I've been managing a mile a day and plan to build on that. Got the lurgy so having a day off but I do enjoy it very much. Therealmary I'm not sure I could promise to be careful about eating right now. Too many yummy xmas temptations. But I'm back on it in Jan.

HalleLouja Sun 14-Dec-14 09:36:58

I did WW as well as running. They do say its 80% diet and 20% exercise.

I finished WW nearly 6 months ago and have stayed the same weight but my figure has changed lots. Have slim hips / less of a tummy etc.

Disclaimer - I also do classes - 1/2 HIIT classes a week plus body conditioning.

HalleLouja Sun 14-Dec-14 09:37:48

I now run 15 / 18 miles a week. I started this time last year.

loveableshoulder Mon 29-Dec-14 08:21:53

I listen to Saturday Live while running!

26Point2Miles Mon 29-Dec-14 10:12:42

How do you listen to stuff? Download it first?

My brother suggested audiobooks. I get bored of playlists v quickly but big part of my motivation to run is time to listen to stuff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now