Talk

Advanced search

A question for yogis....

(5 Posts)
CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Mon 08-Dec-14 20:35:18

Why can't I do a shoulder stand when I've got my period?
Every week my yoga teacher gives an alternative posture to anyone with shoulder and neck problems and also to anyone who is menstruating.
What will happen if I do it?

VelvetGreen Mon 08-Dec-14 22:51:51

I don't think there is any evidence that it will do you any physical harm, but some teachers don't recommend it as you are reversing the natural downward flow (apana) while in an inverted posture.

It is one of those areas where there is no clear consensus, so listen to your own body. Your teacher should be happy to discuss their reasons with you either individually or in the class - if you are wondering about it then others probably are too (i know i did for a long time).

LordEmsworth Mon 08-Dec-14 23:10:56

The official reason is that the blood flows the wrong way - you're preventing your body from expelling it, and so retaining a waste product. Obviously, those of us with a western upbringing will point out the medical evidence suggests otherwise...

I think, though, that it's quite a good idea depending where you are in your period. In the first 2 days or so, your energy levels tend to dip, you tend to be more tired than usual; inversions are energising but take a lot of physical energy to do; so I do avoid them for that reason, they will leave me more tired.

You should take care with strong standing poses for the same reason; and closed twists you shouldn't do either, as they harden the abdomen and you want it to soften to help relieve cramps. Some of the alternative postures, lying down, are very good for softening the abdomen so it's much better for you if you have cramps or problems at all.

Suzannewithaplan Mon 08-Dec-14 23:59:48

suspect yoga teachers would err on the side of caution just in case?

I do it as part of my regular home practise at all times of the month...you could do it at home if you practice at home, and see how you feel?

(I mean no disrespect to those who abide by the yoga teachings)

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Tue 09-Dec-14 11:56:36

Thank you for the replies.

I don't go to the studio on the first couple of days of my period as I worry about leakage! blush
I will try it out first when I am practising at home to see how I get on.

Namaste everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now