Talk

Advanced search

What's best for flexibility yoga or Pilates?

(8 Posts)
whataboutbob Sat 29-Nov-14 17:03:45

Ask approach 50 I find my joints are getting stiffer. A long time ago ( in my 20s) I did yoga and enjoyed it. Then I left town and never found a good class again. More recently I ve done Pilates. I m looking to be less stiff, tone up and de stressing too would be good. Any advice? Can only manage 2 weekly classes.

Suzannewithaplan Sat 29-Nov-14 19:13:47

I prefer yoga but there is a certain amount of overlap and blending of the two, both can be practised at home and there's lots of youtube vids that will help

whataboutbob Sat 29-Nov-14 19:58:36

Hi Suzanne can I ask how long you have been practicing yoga, and what you feel it can offer? Thanks. Just asking because it seems to me it does require quite a commitment.

Suzannewithaplan Sat 29-Nov-14 23:00:03

about 31 years Bob
Yoga can be adapted to various ends, from flexibility to strength/balance, I use it to stay flexible and manage/prevent injuries from other activities.

As for time commitment, well I think daily is optimal but twice a week for half an hour or even less would make a difference.
You've practised it previously so presumably know the ropes to some extent?

LordEmsworth Sun 30-Nov-14 09:34:39

I don't know much about Pilates, but yoga would help. Two weekly classes would be great; I think the key is for you to find "a good class" so you enjoy it, then it will feel like less of a commitment!

Yoga has physical benefits (flexibility, strength, stamina) but also mental benefits (concentration, calm, confidence). Unless you are going to go for it with a really strong, powerful practice every day then it won't help you tone up; but you should find over time greater flexibility, and it should help you to switch off from the stressful outside world for at least the period of the class.

I would suggest a class to start with, at least, rather than purely practising from a book or DVD (I am a teacher so I would grin) because then you have a teacher looking at you, who can correct you and help you to progress. A weekly class, supplemented with practice at home, would be a good starting point - but as I say, you need to find a class and teacher you like otherwise it will feel like a chore.

I practise Iyengar yoga, so of course would recommend that. A good teacher will ensure they adapt the pose to your level of stiffness and help you to work in the way that will alleviate it.

whataboutbob Sun 30-Nov-14 14:09:59

Thanks very much that is really useful. LordEmsworth you are not in south London are you? The calmness and switching off from the outside world is a good aspect, it has been a stressful few years with my dad being diagnosed with Alzheimers and my brother with schizophrenia, i am still very involved in supporting both (plus job and kids). I would definitely look for a class, not start off with DVDs. Thanks again.

LordEmsworth Sun 30-Nov-14 17:14:38

I'm nowhere near London, but there are some great teachers in south London - I know a number around Brixton/Clapham/Peckham, but London generally is well served for yoga! If you go to iyengaryoga.org.uk there's a "find a class/teacher" search on the right hand side of the page. I would say a lot is about finding the right teacher - don't stick with someone you don't really like for the sake of it. Good luck!

whataboutbob Mon 01-Dec-14 18:21:19

Thanks have checked the website- very useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now