Talk

Advanced search

My first 5k charity run - please give me some tips

(6 Posts)
ChrissCrossCrunch Tue 25-Nov-14 17:10:48

As I said, my first run. Only recently got into running and haven't quite completed C25k yet, so not expecting be able to run all the way.

Its not a serious run - there will be dressing up and I imagine some people will wallk.

Just wanted some tips and to gain an insight into what the experience might be like.

pootlebug Tue 25-Nov-14 17:19:39

It will partly depend on what you want it to be iyswim. So, you could decide that you'll run all the way, no walking breaks (even if you haven't quite got there yet on C25K the adrenaline/atmosphere on the day should carry you through). Or you might decide you don't mind how long it takes or whether you run all the way etc.

I like the buzz of an event - and the way it makes me run faster/harder than I ever would in training. How about trying to see if it can be your first continuous 5k run?

emummy Tue 25-Nov-14 18:47:02

Is it a morning run? Eat your normal breakfast, don't drink a lot close to the start as the toilet queues can be impressive! And remember to have fun, it sounds like it will be a fun and enjoyable event.

ChrissCrossCrunch Tue 25-Nov-14 21:53:41

I would love to be able run continuously poot however slow.

Yes emummy its a morning run in a park - hadn't thought of the toilet issue,

JapaneseMargaret Wed 26-Nov-14 06:49:10

Ooh, good luck! No tips, as I will be doing my first in Feb, but post back to let us know how you got on. smile

Thereyouarepeter Wed 26-Nov-14 12:17:17

Take it steady - you will have lots of nervous energy and adrenalin pumping round your body. It's very easy to get pulled along at a faster pace by other racers while not even realizing it. Get your pacing right before the race and try to stick to it - you can always up your pace towards the end of the 5k if you need to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now