Talk

Advanced search

Can kids do exercise videos?

(6 Posts)
ButterflySandwich Sun 23-Nov-14 12:52:53

I was doing 30 day shred this morning level 2 and DS (9yo) wanted to do it with me but struggled to keep up. I just assumed he was fitter than that but he is a little chubby. He wasn't using weights and I encouraged him to do easy versions of everything. Anyway, he seemed to enjoy it. Is it OK for kids to do exercise videos? Its the cardiovascular exercises that I think would benefit him most and he liked doing it with me. Are there any videos more suitable for kids? Does anyone know?

SevenZarkSeven Sun 23-Nov-14 13:01:20

Yes I think so, why not? As long as they aren't over-extending themselves or doing something that might hurt them like weights. And as long as there isn't a message from you or too much in the video (not seen 30 day shred) that might affect psychologically eg "bad" body shapes or him getting the idea that he's not right in some way IYSWIM.

I have started doing these 10 min ones we got free with the xbox and DH as well, it's aerobic bouncing around stuff with the woman being encouraging, the kids 5 and 7 like to join in, I think why not TBH they enjoy it.

BTW our kids can't keep up not because of fitness but because it's quite fast and they haven't learnt that type of co-ordination yet, so they are a bit all over the shop, it's quite funny to watch grin

ButterflySandwich Sun 23-Nov-14 13:24:00

Yes I don't want to give him a complex and yes you're right, he was learning moves so didnt keep up from that aspect. Some exercise videos go on about weight and appearance so I would avoid those "work those tums girls" ones. He said he does star jumps, jumping jacks and skipping rope at school anyway, so those videos including that sort of exercise are good. What about running on the spot type ones?

SevenZarkSeven Sun 23-Nov-14 13:43:53

I would say yes to all those things and you were giving him different moves where they were a bit tricky for him so all good I say smile

I don't think exercise videos that go on about weight and appearance are particularly good for any of us really!

I think it sounds like a really constructive fun thing to do together TBH, that's how I feel when my kids join in with me, as long as they don't get under my feet too much!

ButterflySandwich Sun 23-Nov-14 15:16:51

lol yes I had to pause it a couple of times to show him safe ways of doing moves

Fullsteamahead Wed 26-Nov-14 21:48:27

Butterflysandwich,

That's quite weird but I've had exactly the same thing with my DD (10) today. She was desperate to try out shred L2 with me but I was quite shocked at just how unfit she is. And this is the child who has sport every afternoon at school! So I've just been doing a bit of research on YouTube and found a couple of things specifically designed for kids.

The first one was by PowerGirls but DD found them too cheesy (and I don't blame her)

Then I came across this and it looks really good, would suit a boy too:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=UUa9_TpiSkqYwcr35uh5N7Og&v=WmGjxU3Ggko

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qzx-d1Z2bLY

Hope it helps smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now