Talk

Advanced search

help for the hopelessly unfit

(11 Posts)
theDudesmummy Wed 19-Nov-14 15:51:06

Can anyone give me some advice?
I used to be a very slim fit young woman. I have now gradually morphed into an incredibly unfit fifty-year old, not completely overweight but on the verge of being so (BMI 25). I am starting to feel really stiff and losing flexibility, and I can't climb a flight of stairs without feeling puffed. I need to do something! I have very little spare time and absolutely don't want to go to a class or gym etc in my state. I have an exercise bike at home but have not been using it! Anyone got any ideas of books/DVDs etc that might help me?

CurlyWurlyCake Wed 19-Nov-14 16:29:12

I'm in the same boat. Really feeling the aches and niggles.

I've started walking a lot and plan to go from there.

Not much help but you're not on your own smile

Thistledew Wed 19-Nov-14 16:42:49

If you have an exercise bike, and are serious about getting fit then have a go at the SufferFest videos!

I dare ya! wink

Thistledew Wed 19-Nov-14 16:47:06

Seriously, they may look scary but they are based on a scale of Perceived Rate of Exertion, which is a wholly subjective scale of how hard you are working from easy to flat out. You just work at whatever 7 out of 10 or 4 out of 10 means for you at the time.

pootlebug Wed 19-Nov-14 17:12:32

I second the Sufferfest video suggestion. Start with some of the easier (shorter!) ones.

And drop the 'hopelessly'. That's giving you an excuse to give up. Yes you are less fit than you could be, or have been. But that doesn't mean it is hopeless.

The Shred DVD is good, takes relatively little time, and you'll see results. You still have to do it though - and nearly every day. If you do a month with one day off per week, you'll start to see the difference.

theDudesmummy Wed 19-Nov-14 17:16:51

Thanks, I will have a look at Sufferfest. I want to get a bit fitter but also more flexible, I am starting to stiffen up and my shoulders and hips don't have the range they used to! Any suggestions? I probably need things that can be done in a smallish space as the only place I can be alone and not climbed upon by my little boy is in my study, which is very small!

theDudesmummy Wed 19-Nov-14 17:17:50

Will also look at Shred, but have heard of it before and it sounds a bit scary for me!

LifeforceHF Wed 19-Nov-14 19:43:22

For flexibility try getting a yoga dvd which focuses on that. I'm a personal trainer and have really noticed a difference in myself since I've been doing yoga in the living room twice a week!

ReallyBadParty Wed 19-Nov-14 20:01:38

I like the Tara Lee yoga DVDs.

The 10 minute solution workout DVDs are also fun, within a huge range of types of workout. I humiliate my dcs by doing the dance one and boxing smile

At the moment, cos in really can't get to the gym I have started Couch to 5 k and am starting "running" despite being 45, sturdy, flabby, and my fitness not what it was.

But I would really say to you if you can get to a gym with good classes that's the way forwards. It pushes you, people are generally lovely,and I always try that much harder in a class. And I am a naturally unsporty person, but loved classes, and they worked.

theDudesmummy Fri 21-Nov-14 17:25:19

I really can't do classes (too embarrassed and actually no available time), I have signed up for such things before and then just never attended! (I love the idea of Zumba but would probably fall over after three minutes!). I will have a look into yoga...

theDudesmummy Fri 21-Nov-14 17:27:06

...have just ordered a Tara Lee DVD! Will try to get into that and do a bit of cycling next week....Thanks for the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now