Talk

Advanced search

Nearly finished C25K - what next?

(9 Posts)
2down1togo Mon 17-Nov-14 15:20:59

Hi all!
The title says it all really! I've the first run of week 8 done (using the NHS app) and I mapped my run for the first time last night. I ran 4.59 km in 28 mins, so confident enough that I can complete the 5k in 30 minutes by the end of next week.
Any input into what steps to take next?

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Mon 17-Nov-14 15:27:55

Depends on what you want to do. Enter races? Decrease your 5k time? Increase your distance?

2down1togo Mon 17-Nov-14 15:31:38

I have registered for park run so think I might do some of those, and I was thinking I would ultimately like to do 10k runs. I have surprised myself in how much I have enjoyed the running, so want to keep it up!

funchum8am Mon 17-Nov-14 15:35:40

I got a 5k to 10k app and built up distance as I was running to lose weight. It worked! If you actually enjoy running then try that; if you want shorter sharper workouts look to improve on your 5k times.

Park run is brilliant too - amazing spirit of cameraderie.

BikeRunSki Mon 17-Nov-14 15:35:41

Enter a 10k for earlier in the new year and work towards that. I go from 5 to 10k by adding 500m/1k to my longest run once a fortnight and doing this distance 2 or 3 times before adding more.

2down1togo Mon 17-Nov-14 16:00:37

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try to keep up the 5k runs for a few extra weeks, I am moving home to Northern Ireland from London mid December so think I will just continue to do 30 min runs between now and then to keep the momentum going! I think I would definitely like to increase my distance - what app is best to use?

BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Mon 17-Nov-14 16:15:54

If you are moving a good idea could be to join a running club when you move. Not only will it help you with your running development, but also you will get to meet other people too.

There are some C25K+ apps through the NHS for graduates of the C25K. Ive not tried the stamina one, but the speed one really worked me. Although I appreciate that you are looking to increase distance.

It is a lot easier going from 5K to 10K than nothing to 5K.

2down1togo Mon 17-Nov-14 17:04:04

Biscuits, are the nhs apps just individual podcasts or are they a program like the c25k?

BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Mon 17-Nov-14 18:27:08

individual podcasts, but they are not easy. I completed C25K back in 2012 and can't do the speed one all the way through. Its still Laura.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now