Talk

Advanced search

Running - inspiration needed please

(33 Posts)
flumperoo Sun 16-Nov-14 15:03:17

This time last year I was really into running, runing 25 miles a week and feeling fit and fantastic. Then I had an injury and have hardly done any running since. I now feel ready to get into it again, but I'm finding it really hard to get motivated. I've obvioulsy lost lots of my fitness, so it feels like I'm stating right back at square one, plus it's really cold outside and every time I decide I'll go for a run later, or tomorrow or whatever, when it gets to it, I really can't face it. Also, I've moved from nearby a great country running area, to a built up estate with nothing but streets of houses and I don't like running where lots of people will see me (wuss!).

I know I really just need to get out there and get one with it, but I don't seem to be able to make myself. Any tips please?

Mitchy1nge Sun 16-Nov-14 15:27:36

it's vile at this time of year isn't it

but anyway:

running club? Ease back in on beginner nights?
buy loads of lovely new running things so you are excited about using them
find someone to run with sometimes

once you are back it will be every bit as moreish as ever

emummy Sun 16-Nov-14 16:01:58

Are there any parks or country-ish areas you could drive too? It can seem daft to drive to go for a run but I quite often drive to nearby forests to run there, and it's usually pretty quiet except for the odd dog walker. You might feel better if you can get away from the built up areas. I would think that once you do make it out for the first time it will get easier and you'll be back to living it again. Good luck!

Lottapianos Sun 16-Nov-14 16:06:33

You've done it before so you know you can do it again. I find with a new exercise plan, for the first month, you just have to make yourself do it - kick your own bum out the door 3 times a week and just get it done.

Then after a month, maybe a bit sooner, you will see results and that will motivate you to do it even more. Good luck and stick with it. Running makes absolutely everything better.

flumperoo Sun 16-Nov-14 18:29:31

Thank you for the encouraging words, ladies. I decided to get out and go for a short run. As soon as I started, I decided to make it an even shorter run. Managed a measly 2 miles. My legs felt like lead, my heart felt like it might explode, my lungs felt like they were on fire and I was coughing like I have a 30-a-day habit. Soo disheartening when a year ago I managed a half marathon without stopping. Never want to run again!

flumperoo Sun 16-Nov-14 18:30:30

Has anyone else managed to get into running again after a loooong break and starting from scratch again?

5madthings Sun 16-Nov-14 18:34:26

I was running consistently last year about 10km and did the London bupa 10k.

Have been crap this year, managed a few 5km runs.

But have just agreed to do Manchester half marathon with my sister next April.., ha ha ha.

Full of cold at the moment but once we'll Will be getting back out there, I can be your virtual running buddy if you like?

Basically sign yourself up for something so you have s goal is what works for me!

runlikeagirl Sun 16-Nov-14 18:35:56

I have. I basically had a few years break and after breaking my foot I've manged to get back into it. Has taken a year.

My first few runs were like you said. My first parkrun I fell over and didn't finish. Today I did a 10k race in 55mins.

Little and often. I am a member of a running club and I always put my running stuff on as soon as I get home from work! Less likely to chicken out then.

foxinorangesocks Sun 16-Nov-14 18:53:20

I was running 10k in an hour in 2012, had major surgery and didn't go running again. I don't know why, it took me a long time to recover and then I was demotivated. I've also done two unsuccessful ivf cycles since and there has always been a reason not to go. However I have used a fitbit since new year to try and keep some baseline of fitness and do a lot of yoga. Three weeks ago I decided to get off my bum and get back into it. I decided to do the couch to 5k plan as something to follow and get back to 5k for the new year when I'm going to start park runs. It's actually been a bit easy so far but having someone tell me exactly what to do with my music in the background has worked for me and also reminded me that I can run! Like a souped up fitbit run? Week four next week and I've gone out whatever the weather. Might podcasts help?

flumperoo Sun 16-Nov-14 20:23:07

Thanks for the encouragement - it makes me feel better to know others have been in this position. I've really enjoyed being in a running group before, and there's a good one not too far from me but I doubt I'd get there in time after work. Couch to 5k is a good idea. There seem to be few different apps for it. Can anyone recommend one in particular or are they pretty samey?

I feel very far off making a commitment to do a parkrun or race of any sort just yet (don't think I could cope with the embarassment of being so rubbish in public grin. I will definitely make a determined effort to try a few short runs this week to try and get my mojo back though (although, that's easy to say whilst I'm sat here in my pjs on the sofa!)

A virtual running buddie might also be good for me - it could be motivating and give me a bit of a kick up the bum smile

5madthings Sun 16-Nov-14 21:01:52

I used the zenlabs couch to 5km then bridge to 10km apps. They were free and you can still play your own music as you use it.

gemini1987 Sun 16-Nov-14 21:04:24

I had about a year off from running whilst I had my third baby. She was born in march and I started training for a September half marathon in May. Those first six weeks were so so hard. I remember saying to a friend when I was struggling to run 4k after six weeks that I didn't think I was going to be able to do it.

Anyway, I kept plugging away and suddenly I realised that I didn't feel like I was going to die the whole run and it clicked! Just stick with it, it will get easier. You have to just be determined to succeed!! I found a new sense if determination this summer when my husband who is a farmer was working all hours and I was trying to train for the half with three under 5s. It wouldn't be unusual for me to be on my treadmill at 5am or 10pm to get the miles in, or running pushing a double buggy and towing a 4 year old behind me on a bike. If I can do it anyone can!! I am not a natural runner!!

gemini1987 Sun 16-Nov-14 21:05:06

Oh and I did complete my half marathon in 2hrs 21mins.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Sun 16-Nov-14 21:09:33

I stopped running when I was pregnant with DD2 and when I started running again i felt really unfit. On my first run I managed about 2km and thought I was going to throw up. After a week I ran 5km and 10km by the end of the month.
I used runkeeper to track my progress and set goals.
I've been running again for just over a year and done two half marathons. The last one I did in 1h35m, which was the fastest I've ever run.
It will get easier. Keep running!

foxinorangesocks Sun 16-Nov-14 22:01:15

Flump I'll do cheering on with you. I'm on c25k week three with one run left to go so not too far into it. I'm aiming for a park run at some point in January as something to aim for and also I thought if I could crack this during the coldest and darkest months I'd feel really proud. Do you feel motivated?! My next run will be Tuesday. I've banned myself from using the weather as an excuse. I've always been a fair weather runner and want to change that.

flumperoo Sun 16-Nov-14 22:45:28

Thanks guys, I'm feeling a bit more motivated to at least give it a try. I think c25k might be the way to go. I've downloaded and app but think the first few weeks look too easy. Do you think it would be ok to start on, say, week 5 which is intervals of 5 mins jogging and 3 mins walking, which I reckon I can manage fine?

NeverFreezeLobsters Sun 16-Nov-14 22:48:56

I'm also looking for inspiration, so will join you! My plan this week is 3 runs, a 3k, a 4k and a 5k. We shall see...

foxinorangesocks Mon 17-Nov-14 06:48:12

Flump it is easy, I'm being a wuss and putting off actual running! It has made me feel pleased with myself though smile

BlueChampagne Mon 17-Nov-14 13:36:07

Hi Flump - I had several months off due to injury and it's jolly hard work getting back into it when your head says you can do x distance and your body says no way. I fear the only way is to stick at it, but we will be your virtual buddies!

On C25K, try the week that looks about right for you - if it's too much, go back, if not, go forward.

How about a local hash meet?

flumperoo Mon 17-Nov-14 22:45:09

I got out and went for another run this evening. I did the nhs c25k, started at week 5 and it was easy so I ran for an extra mile and felt fine. So, now I think I will get back into it, it will just take time (I'm impatient) and I need to not push myself too fast before I'm ready (again, I'm just too impatient).

I hadn't thought about a hash, will have a look.

Thanks for all the enouragement!

foxinorangesocks Tue 18-Nov-14 07:16:03

Flump well done! You have put me to shame smile run for me this morning, I'm keeping gently gently with the January 5k in my sights..

Lottapianos Tue 18-Nov-14 07:45:27

Well done flump! Bet that gave your confidence a real boost. Keep at it x

BlueChampagne Tue 18-Nov-14 13:09:21

Well done flump! Just don't forget the 10% rule and set yourself back all over again.

foxinorangesocks Tue 18-Nov-14 19:00:29

What is the ten per cent rule?

Pleaseputyourshoeson Tue 18-Nov-14 19:05:45

Never increase your mileage by more than 10 per cent in a week as your injury risk goes right up. Skeletal frame - bone and muscles need recovery and time to adapt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now