Talk

Advanced search

Running in the cold and wet

(13 Posts)
FruitBasedDrinkForALady Tue 11-Nov-14 13:08:51

What do you wear? For the first time ever, I ran in the rain last night. I had my running leggings (Lidl), technical short sleeved shirt, running hoodie (Aldi) and a hi-vis cycling top (also Aldi) on me with a baseball cap to keep as much rain as I could off my face. Overall I was fairly happy in terms of keeping warm (it was baltic here) and I didn't realise just how wet I was until I got home. My neck this morning is a bit sore, I think from the cold/wind. I don't want to have any excuse not to go out for a run, so any recommendations of what to wear to keep myself going out, would be great. Thanks.

overmydeadbody Tue 11-Nov-14 18:02:23

I don't bother trying to keep dry in the rain! I tried a running waterproof jacket once but I got so hot that I sweated up loads so I might as well have just got wet from the rain.

I do wear silk running gloves though, and a buff or ear warmers as I get very cold ears which gives me a headache.

I wear winter running tights and a well insulated turtleneck winter running top when it gets very cold, with a running vest underneeth, and a cap to keep the rain off my face.

I also have knee length running compression socks which I wear when it is cold.

I have kept running at least 3 times a week for two winters now, and that attire has seen me through it all! Feeling very proud as it was such hard work at first grin

overmydeadbody Tue 11-Nov-14 18:03:30

I do find you need to run a fair distance to warm up though, so for the first two miles or so I do feel cold, but then I warm up!

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Wed 12-Nov-14 11:24:52

I hadn't thought about knee length socks, I'll have a look for some. I'm resigned to getting wet, and I don't mind too much once I have a hot shower to come in to, but since I'm new to running I wanted to be sure there isn't some magical piece of kit that I just don't know about! I was looking at fleece snoods yesterday and I must keep an eye out for merino or bamboo base layers when they are in Lidl or Aldi again. I hadn't heard about silk running gloves - can you tell me about them??

Suzannewithaplan Wed 12-Nov-14 12:43:14

I wish there was a magical bit of kit, an invisible water proof bubble type of thing, I could do with one for my bike, bloomin hope they invent it soongrin

AnnieLobeseder Wed 12-Nov-14 12:52:06

I get really, really hot when I run so I've never bother much about staying warm and dry. In winter I wear running tights and a long-sleeve T-shirt under a short-sleeve one (both technical) and pull the sleeves of the long-sleeve one up about 5 mins in when I get hot. I also start with gloves on when it's really cold, but they come off too. I have a fleece ear-band to keep my ears warm on really cold days.

I rain it's much the same. I have a showerproof gilet to keep my core dry-ish, and a waterproof cap (Sealskins - fantastic gear!). When running in "proper shoes" I use GoreTex trail shoes so my feet stay dry. But when I'm running in my barefoot shoes there's no point so I just get wet feet.

I love running in the rain. So lovely and cooling!

Suzannewithaplan Wed 12-Nov-14 12:59:29

When you say barefoot shoes do you mean Vibrams Annie?
(Am picturing you in the rain surrounded by steam and a heat haze grin)

iwantgin Wed 12-Nov-14 13:07:34

I find running in the cold and rain far easier and enjoyable than running in high summer heat.

Tend to wear leggings, a long sleeved top and a baseball hap (to keep the rain out of my eyes). Sometimes do wear a jacket and gloves, but end up removing them anyway after the first 10 minutes or so.

AnnieLobeseder Wed 12-Nov-14 13:07:45

I started with Vibrams but I've found that New Balance Minimus work better for me.

And yes, there probably is a steam haze around me when I run in the cold/wet!! grin I look at people running in jackets and woolly hat and think "how are you not DEAD from the heat?!"

Mitchy1nge Wed 12-Nov-14 13:19:44

ME

I run in jacket, hat, gloves, buff round neck or over most of face or round ears

some of us are just too lazy to work up a sweat!

Mitchy1nge Wed 12-Nov-14 13:20:58

LOVE running in the summer when arms and legs can get out in the fresh air and go brown

Suzannewithaplan Thu 13-Nov-14 16:40:10

I started with Vibrams but I've found that New Balance Minimus work better for me
I like them on the treadmill but feels a bit brutal on concrete
I ran in the rain & wind today, just for a change from the treadmill, for me it's def preferable to running outdoors in summer weather, I stick to indoors & air con in the heat

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Thu 13-Nov-14 17:13:09

I'm obviously like you, Mitch, I don't think I'll ever go far and fast enough to worry about shedding layers grin I'm going to brave another run this evening, but have a fleece snood and an ear warmer thingie winging their way from 'tinternet for when the really horrible weather hits after Christmas. DH can't understand why I'll go out on a miserable night instead of getting on his treadmill, but I just can't like it. And I'll have a big bowl of home made chicken soup as my reward! That's probably my most useful piece of kit...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now