Talk

Advanced search

No space to exercise and gym too far - Can running really help?

(36 Posts)
MioMoo Tue 11-Nov-14 06:27:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BellsaRinging Tue 11-Nov-14 06:32:15

Running can definitely help-and I speak from experience! Download a C25K programme and get to it.
If you start today then you will very nearly have finished the programme by Christmas day, as it only takes 6 weeks. I certainly noticed body changes in that time-apart from the 'invisible' benefits my legs were more toned and I lost inches too.

MioMoo Tue 11-Nov-14 06:50:06

something2say Tue 11-Nov-14 06:58:38

I disagree about there being no space at home.

For example, you can do forwards and backwards push-ups on your kitchen sink.... And you can do squats on the floor.....

Good luck! Develop muscle because it eats more calories. Also do lots of fast walking, jogging of course, and generally getting out and about. Not the easiest now it's getting dark of course but I try lunchtimes....

Good luck and have fun!

DontBeBlueBeARainbow Tue 11-Nov-14 08:17:15

The NHS Choices Cto5K is 9 weeks and it changed my life. Rough starting at this time of year (I started in April when it was warming up a little) but the programme, and HealthUnlocked/Mumsnet forum, are so encouraging that you could get through it.

I ran a half marathon 18 months later and (apart from pregnancy issues) have turned into a proper running bee! And no longer a far person pregnancy aside!

I also did 30DShred earlier this year in a really small flat. It was annoying at times, but is totally worth it if you are looking for physical results and by Christmas.

Good luck!

DontBeBlueBeARainbow Tue 11-Nov-14 08:17:40

*no longer a fat person

ATailofTwoKitties Tue 11-Nov-14 08:22:20

Start gently if you aren't used to it, or you'll knacker your knees. The C25K programmes are good for this.

Good luck! I'm another C25K-er who is aiming for a half-marathon, Rainbow.

SunshineAndShadows Tue 11-Nov-14 08:23:06

I have a tiny flat too but manage shred by doing the upright stuff in a tiny floor space and the lying down stuff on my bed.

ATailofTwoKitties Tue 11-Nov-14 08:23:28

Oh, and if you can persuade another total beginner to run with you, it's a really good way to pace yourself and have a good chat.

1hamwich4 Tue 11-Nov-14 08:28:56

Shred doesn't need that much room, at least at level 1. This is free on YouTube- why not have a look anyway?

I think running sounds good too, but interspersing it with a bit of Shred could be a good way of mixing things up so you don't get bored. It'll work the rest of you too.

MioMoo Tue 11-Nov-14 08:51:32

Mitchy1nge Tue 11-Nov-14 09:00:38

the only thing running can't help with are running related injuries I think!

there are c25k and running threads over on the exercise board to help keep you motivated and accountable - come and say hello

NotCitrus Tue 11-Nov-14 09:01:12

Even brisk walking can help - since having to do a school run, walking at least half an hour every weekday, I've lost 2 stone in 9 months despite medical problems meaning I never managed more than a week of C25K. Doing something regularly really works.

IrianofWay Tue 11-Nov-14 09:09:33

Of course it will help!! It burns calories. I did 10k on Saturday and although I wasn't gonig all that fast I burnt nearly 700 calories. Unfortunately I am not really watching my diet atm so I am not going to be getting slimmer any time soon BUT if you are also dieting it's got to help.

But the most important thing is that it is good for you and will make you feel amazing!

Mitchy1nge Tue 11-Nov-14 09:15:41

garmin says I've burned 103,499 since started my own account last year shock

that's not just running but mostly

I average about 70-80 calories a mile

Mitchy1nge Tue 11-Nov-14 09:17:37

1,321.20 miles shock

(there will be swimming cycling horse riding and walking miles in there too)

but anyway yeah running helps

MioMoo Tue 11-Nov-14 09:22:43

MioMoo Tue 11-Nov-14 09:24:37

Mitchy1nge Tue 11-Nov-14 09:40:34

try it!

apparently 8 miles a week is the magical number for running and weight loss, as reported in runners world once upon a time

that's, what, at most an hour and a half a week?

Thistledew Tue 11-Nov-14 09:43:42

In my opinion, if you get into running just because you want to lose weight, it is unlikely to be effective.

Doing the C25K program is unlikely to give you much in the way of results to start with as it will not be hard enough or long enough to burn sufficient calories to enter into fat burning mode. You will just be burning stores of energy held in your blood and liver, and these will be replenished the next time you eat.

If your main goal is weight loss, then when it makes little difference to start with, you are more likely to be demoralised and to lose interest. You are also more likely to do the minimum to get through your allocated running time and not to think about your general performance.

On the other hand, if you take up running with the goal of getting fitter, getting faster and setting yourself time and distance targets then you are more likely to push yourself and make worthwhile achievements.

You will then find that the side effect is that you will become fit enough to run for long enough and hard enough that fat burning becomes easy. It is only once you have achieved a reasonable level of fitness that you can start to make changes to your body shape through exercise.

This fitness will also bring benefits of better heart and lung condition, better health and more energy generally.

So take up running by all means, but do it to become fitter, stronger and to challenge yourself to meet new goals. You will find that weight loss and better health are pleasing side effects.

EarSlaps Tue 11-Nov-14 10:30:30

Try the seven minute workout too- you hardly need any room. Three rounds of that plus warm up and cool down would be great alternated with running.

WiseKneeHair Tue 11-Nov-14 10:36:10

Weight loss is 80-90% diet, but exercise is a great adjunct. There are various apps which do circuit type work outs which don't need much space. I use one called boot camp challenge by lolo fitness which are 20-30 minutes long. Boy, do they get me sweating grin I also run walk 4 times a week.
Join myfitnesspal for further help and support.
Good luck thanks

aquavit Tue 11-Nov-14 10:46:57

I would seriously recommend cardio intervals for weight loss rather than steady state - you can do this with running: look up a high intensity interval programme (HIIT) or just sprint for 30s, walk for a minute, repeat x plenty.

Weight training also excellent for changing your shape, having done steady state running for years with little effect on my appearance (tho no doubt good for me in other ways) I changed to doing weights and some interval training and the difference was AMAZING. Could you do a training session in the gym to get them to show you some exercises that you can do in limited space, eg with a kettlebell?

Loads of info on the exercise threads! Good luck smile

Suzannewithaplan Tue 11-Nov-14 11:06:38

Calorie burn while running depends on speed and body weight, heavier people burn a fair bit more.

Running is more intense than many other forms of cardio problem is that until you reach a good level of fitness it's not possible to train intensly enough or for long enough to use much of your stored energy surplus

Some people are lucky and have a naturally high VO2 max and / or respond quickly and strongly to training.
These people are likely to find exercise easy and effective.

The rest of us mere mortals have to grit our teeth and learn to enjoy the discomfort ‎grin

MioMoo Tue 11-Nov-14 13:19:19

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now