Talk

Advanced search

Does anybody run with asthma?

(9 Posts)
sniffle12 Sun 09-Nov-14 19:00:39

I'm really struggling in the cold weather. As long as I'm just walking fast I don't get an attack but as soon as I start running, however slow, it comes on. I take reliever before running and as soon as I feel it coming on but to no avail. I've tried warming up slowly as well, walking for 5 mins first then interspersing walking and running for a bit before running properly. Any tips at all? I've signed up for a fun run and I really want to be able to run the whole thing or most of it.

Sparkky Mon 10-Nov-14 06:12:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BlueChampagne Mon 10-Nov-14 13:12:40

I do, but maybe it's colder where you are than where I am (E Anglia). Is it worth booking an asthma review?

Sidge Mon 10-Nov-14 13:14:10

Your limited exercise tolerance would suggest your asthma isn't controlled.

Make an appointment for a review.

(I'm an asthma nurse!)

sniffle12 Mon 10-Nov-14 18:46:11

*Your limited exercise tolerance would suggest your asthma isn't controlled.

Make an appointment for a review.

(I'm an asthma nurse!)*

Thanks, sounds silly but this hadn't actually occurred to me! My other main trigger is animal dander and as I don't have pets I suppose I might have been supposing my asthma's under control when it actually just isn't being tested. I probably am due a review. Nice to think that I could possibly exercise more comfortable.

northernmummeh Mon 10-Nov-14 18:50:55

Yup I do. And struggle with extremes in temperature. Really really cold and really really warm.

If medication isn't doing the job it would suggest it's not controlled so I'd get it checked with your asthma nurse/practice nurse. I was also told at my last appointment that taking a reliever every time I run before I go is a no no and causes more damage long term and is also another indicator that it's not as controlled as it should be so they reviewed my meds.

I also run with a base layer that has a polo neck to it to keep my throat warm. This helps. As does running with a snood over my nose for the first mile or so till I acclimatise

Mmmicecream Mon 10-Nov-14 23:57:53

I am the same! I found 2 things helped slightly - getting a preventative at a higher dose, and running in a polypropylene thermal that covered my entire back and chest - not against my skin, but over my t-shirt. That helps as it keeps my chest warmer.

BUT I do find that when things get very cold, I just need to move indoors to the gym alas, as nothing seems to work below a certain temp

YouAreMyRain Tue 11-Nov-14 00:02:47

I have run in the winter with asthma. Try breathing through your nose so it warms the air first, made a huge difference to me, difficult at high intensity but great for jogging.

5madthings Tue 11-Nov-14 00:05:25

Ssometimes using one of those neck warmers you can pull up over your nose/mouth helps as thecold air triggers an attack.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now