Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone done the full body builder thing?

(20 Posts)
amigababy Sat 08-Nov-14 01:39:21

I used to do weights at the gym but for various reasons haven't been exercising much this year. I've gained about 20 pounds and am at the top of the acceptable bmi level now and feel wobbly.,

I manage best when I have an identifiable challenge ( I did c25k) and am thinking of trying to achieve a body builder shape. I'd need to lose a good 35 pounds and am happy to lift heavy. I wouldn't want to compete really or look like Jodi Marsh. I like the idea of the discipline of it.

Has anyone else used weights and diet to reshape their body? How long did it take? Where did cardio fit in, and were you very strict with your regime? Did you compete in the end ?

TIA

Suzannewithaplan Sat 08-Nov-14 02:03:46

grin@ the idea that Jodi Marsh is a bodybuilder, if you think JM is too extreme then I really dont think you are up for anything that's even in the same ball park as 'full body builder' wink

she was widely slated in the body building community, abs & gunz, but no legs, not to mention appalling conduct & attitude!

amigababy Sat 08-Nov-14 10:26:13

Helpful(!) hmm

Hope someone can add something about how I could get started, or about their own experiences.

Littlepumpkinpie Sat 08-Nov-14 23:07:39

A body builder is very lean with less than 10% body fat which competion body are you wanting to aim for ? Bikini, fitness or figure? full on Physique.
You need to get yourself a coach one that eats sleeps and breaths it them self walks the walk. Before you build you get lean that's the way I am being coached first comp will be next year for me. I have been chipping away for nearly a year at the body fat gaining some muscle along the way. I am going for fitness body compostion as my goal for the stage doing a photo shoot in the new year.

AggressiveBunting Tue 11-Nov-14 08:33:31

littlepumpkin Can you tell me a bit more about your training? I'm not aiming for competitions but enjoy olympic lifting 3 x a week (Crossfit). I've gained good muscle tone (vanity muscles) and strength but also do trail running, which I love, and I know that's not really compatible with serious muscle building. Anyway, just interested to learn what it takes to get to your level in terms of exercise regime and diet.

Mitchy1nge Tue 11-Nov-14 09:04:44

are women 'allowed' less than 10% body fat? envy had feeling was incompatible with health and life

Suzannewithaplan Tue 11-Nov-14 10:38:35

In order to see muscle definition / detail / striations body fat needs to be low. Typically bbers will diet down for competition and then maintain a higher level of fat in order to gain further muscle or at least maintain what they have.
In truth competitive bbers with 'supraphysiological' levels of muscularity will have used steroids and / or growth hormone in order to achieve it. ‎

Suzannewithaplan Tue 11-Nov-14 10:41:59

Afaik crossfit style training is structured quite differently from 'traditional' bodybuilding training

Suzannewithaplan Tue 11-Nov-14 10:49:40

As for the 'body builder shape' well, for me it's the v-taper, the upper chest thickness, small midsection and quadsweep.
Marsh pretty much failed on all counts. ‎

Women's bikini competitions are just tits and arse shows with added biceps ‎

tellmesomething Tue 11-Nov-14 11:03:45

How much time do you have? Idid this and never felt so good in my life. You do need to dedicate a lot of days of the week. You will begin to see results in 12 weeks but firm goals in 20 weeks.

You need to look at 50% diet, 30 weights, 20% cardio.

You don't need to spend hours at the gym but very affective short sessions so this is what worked for me:

Spinning classes 3 x week
Weights 5 x week- weights sessions can take 30 mins if done right. So pick a main body zone a day eg. Chest. Go as heavy as you can handle and do reps until exhaustion (should be max 10 reps) when resting between sets do another exercise on a rested muscle for efficiency ( I always do abs - it's my trouble spot) 3 sets, max 5 exercises. You will feel it the next day it won't feel much on the day!

Diet: oatmeal breakfasts, have some carbs before ur workout but avoid at night, meal plan and always have healthy snacks on hand to avoid sugary snacks, LOTS of water, lunch and dinner - palm sized protein. Don't go hungry! Crash diets are not sustainable and defeat the purpose

HTH! Good luck!

Ps. I've been out of shape for a year now with 1-2 times a week sessions but I still frequently get compliments so it does pay off and is sustainable if u choose it as a lifestyle you learn from

tellmesomething Tue 11-Nov-14 11:09:54

Oh to answer you q: I didn't compete, I didn't have a goal, I was going through a rough patch in life and it gave me a release... It was therapeutic. DH wasn't a fan of the results... Not that it mattered wink

Suzannewithaplan Tue 11-Nov-14 11:20:31

DH wasn't a fan of the results
Im thinking you felt massively empowered and he found that hard to tolerate?

Showy Tue 11-Nov-14 11:23:33

I wouldn't want to be a full body builder shape but recently, have been dissatisfied with the results of working out. I have done about 75% cardio 25% resistance for 3yrs, working out 5 times a week. I have a BMI of 20, am fit but muscle definition isn't brill.So 4 weeks ago I changed my programme. I do plyometric interval training daily with 30 minutes of resistance afterwards. Weights are significantly heavier but not quite to failure. I want definition and tone, not bulk. Still running 5k 3x a week to retain endurance.

4 weeks in, I am looking v different. Quads, shoulders, abs, obliques and back are particularly defined.

Suzannewithaplan Tue 11-Nov-14 11:39:42

Women very often shy away from wanting actual muscle size, it's always I want to be 'toned' (whatever that means)

The idea of a truly muscular women is just too transgressive for many people to cope with ‎

tellmesomething Tue 11-Nov-14 16:12:10

You would need to seriously be working out min 6 days a week, shedding an unhealthy amount of fat and then bulking with creatine and protein to look shredded. It's v v v difficult and would only be possible I think with a full time trainer (even professionals need them)

Ilooked lean with excellent muscle definition.... DH thought the 6pack abs was a little masculine and he missed the extra padding on the boobs. Otherwise he was quite happy with his tomb raider wife grin

For years I did 90% cardio 10% low strength and never lost weight or saw difference in shape it was the strength training that really gave miraculous results

Showy Tue 11-Nov-14 17:29:45

My desire to have tone as opposed to bulk is bog all to do with perception of muscular women. I have two primary reasons. Firstly, what I realistically believe to be a healthy and sustainable lifestyle for me. This involves a balance between cardiovascular ability, endurance, strength and flexibility. Large muscle mass is not right for me and the diet associated with it is not right for me at all nor an eating pattern I wish to model for my DC. Secondly, fitness is a part of my life, not a deciding factor in it. I don't wish to commit that level of intensity to one hobby.

I'm pretty muscular, more so than dh who is a lean triathlete. Just not bulky.

Mitchy1nge Tue 11-Nov-14 20:07:40

I am really fascinated by this, is something could imagine getting into (have just the right obsessional personality for it) but the calorie surplus required to gain all that lean mass (especially if I continued running 20-40 miles a week which keeps me less mental) would be really difficult to manage I think?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 11-Nov-14 20:09:53

The vast majority of women don't bulk up as not enough testosterone - its not really possible unless you do it 24/7

Snaveanator Mon 24-Nov-14 17:08:31

Do you mean bikini competitor figure rather than body builder? I Actually find weight lifting the most effective form of exercise for my and the results are fabulous.

If you can train 5 times per week try to focus on certain muscle groups per day
1) chest
2) shoulders
3) legs
4) arms
5) back

If you can only do 3 Id suggest
1) legs and shoulders
2) arms
3) back and chest

Don't be afraid to lift HEAVY you will not, and I repeat WILL NOT become bulky! Not unless you're taking steroids!

Look up diet plans online and don't feel intimidated by the amount they require you to eat! You need to eat a lot! I highly recommend doll curves!

Best of luck! If you need any advice/ tips message me grin

IdkickJilliansass Mon 24-Nov-14 21:44:15

Some really helpful and interesting advice here smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now