Talk

Advanced search

your top 3 bits of winter running kit this year?

(29 Posts)
Mitchy1nge Thu 06-Nov-14 19:10:51

definitely don't have enough stuff

also wondering what exciting new colourful things might be out there now

26Point2Miles Thu 06-Nov-14 19:16:24

I don't have much at all

What I need is a running jacket. But I have v long arms so will prob have to buy mens. So it won't be as 'fitted'

Bought some asics gloves

Need some motivation from somewhere though!

pootlebug Thu 06-Nov-14 19:18:54

I love this hoody (now out of stock I think but you might find one on ebay etc) www.selfridges.com/en/sweaty-betty-triumph-merino-hoody_841-10092-SB656/
I bought it in the sale and it has been sitting waiting for the cold weather. Warm enough to keep you toasty until you warm up on a cold morning, light enough that you can take it off and tie it around your waist without much bulk once you get into some intervals. I hate being too hot, but hate going out too cold….so this works well for me.

Love Skins long leggings - lightweight enough to not feel too hot, but the long ones keep you warm enough not to feel too cold either. But black, so not exciting colours ;)

pootlebug Thu 06-Nov-14 19:19:37

26Point2Miles - Sweaty Betty are made for the long-limbed. Pricey but worth looking out for their sales or checking out ebay.

Mitchy1nge Thu 06-Nov-14 19:24:58

oh that hoody looks perfect

I have to have thumbholes! my hands never stop being cold

it just makes the getting out there and getting it started so much easier if you can get your physical comfort levels as high as possible I think!

26Point2Miles Thu 06-Nov-14 19:31:18

I will look! Thankyou

CMOTDibbler Thu 06-Nov-14 22:06:00

I have a lovely new top by Hind I got from Sweatshop with properly long arms (and thumbholes) and a nice assortment of pockets. I don't have a running jacket, but wear a long length fleece parka when its rainy or really cold and that works pretty well as I can layer it as I like.

My new, and fave thing, is a kidney warmer (like a giant buff really) as I get cold round my lower back/top of bum and it keeps me toasty without adding to heat management issues elsewhere.

For cycling, I'm in love with my fleecy inside bib tights. Apart from the loo issue, I wish I could wear them all the time

LaughingM Thu 06-Nov-14 22:14:52

That sweaty betty hoody looks the biz... I'll have to keep an eye out for something similar in the sale. I guess the good thing about jackets / tops as layers is you can tie them round your waste when you get too hot. I haven't been out with gloves/hat yet but I imagine they'll get really annoying having to carry them if I take them off?

Mitchy1nge Fri 07-Nov-14 08:26:17

POOTLE whyyyyyy did you show me that hoody

I can't find it anywhere. Their black one is nice but black.

Theonlyoneiknow Fri 07-Nov-14 11:49:16

I don't have a link but I love my arm warmers! Stops you getting too sweaty but keeps your arms nice and warm. I wear them on top of a long sleeved wicking top and if it's really cold then have a bodywarmer too

pootlebug Fri 07-Nov-14 16:38:24

Mitchy you could email them and ask if they have any left? they might have one floating around....they sat I'm the sale for a bit

annabanana19 Sat 08-Nov-14 15:39:14

Base layer from Sports Direct. £12.

Running leggins from DW got 2 for £25. Head band and gloves from DW.

Cataline Sat 08-Nov-14 15:47:40

Under armour mitts- they're pink and black and I paid about £14 on eBay for them- they are super-toasty and i can shovethem in my pockets if my hands get too warm although that hasn't happened yet.
A neon pink base layer from H&M (with thumbholes!) which I wear and wash for each run- still looks brand new and is super-comfortable.
I also got an under armour fairisle headband- I look like such a twat with it on but it keeps my ears snug withut overheating my head!

Cataline Sun 09-Nov-14 09:34:35

Just found them and they're only £11 now- total bargain!!
pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=181580902543

pootlebug Sun 09-Nov-14 18:10:07

For those of you after the Sweaty Betty hoodie - they have a clearance sale in Guildford on Thurs and Friday this week. Can't find details online but it's on an email they sent me today.

Thurs 12 - 7
Fri 9.30 - 6
At Arena B, Guildford Spectrum, GU1 1UP

Mitchy1nge Sun 09-Nov-14 18:53:33

thanks pootle

bit far for me but will try to be pleased for everyone else

all these snuggly bits of kit sound great, am inspired

Chopstheduck Mon 10-Nov-14 12:44:49

how good are the discounts on those sales, pootlebug , or does anyone else know?

Guildford isn't too far from me! grin

26point2miles - I have long arms, I have a saucony jacket that came long enough in the arms, and I recommend altura for cycling, or even just for a good waterproof jacket.

I must admit, I don't really wear extra clothes unless it is subzero, I tend to get quite hot anyhow.

AnonymousBird Mon 10-Nov-14 12:52:15

Good leggings anyone, to double up for walking/running and also cycling. Need to be warm but light? My budget is tight, and don't live near lots of shops, so online shopping best and could do with a couple of pairs so price important! ta.

Chopstheduck Mon 10-Nov-14 12:53:56

for cycling, the aldi ones are really impressive if there is any stock left near you. Really thick and water resistant too. Decathalon do some lovely fleece lined cycling tights, but they can be more pricey outside of the sales.

I prefer nike for running, nice and stretchy.

pootlebug Mon 10-Nov-14 13:47:00

chops, it says up to 75% off in my email. their stuff is expensive, but their online sale usually has good discounts so I'd imagine this would be the same. their stuff does last very well, in my experience

Chopstheduck Mon 10-Nov-14 14:01:51

thanks pootle, I am very tempted to go along!

pootlebug Mon 15-Dec-14 09:47:35

Mitchy - Sweaty Betty have the hoodie back in the sale: www.sweatybetty.com/clothes/tops/long-sleeved-tops/blue-triumph-merino-run-hoody/

Suzannewithaplan Mon 15-Dec-14 12:06:34

‎I'd like to get a long sleeved half zip top but with a much higher neck, about as long as a Polo neck ‎so that you'd not need to wear a buff with it and (due to the zip) it would fit more closely than a buff.

Not sure if such a thing exists though, or if it does it's probably at 'daylight robbery ' price‎ sad

pootlebug Mon 15-Dec-14 12:48:40

Suzanne - this kind of thing? www.sweatybetty.com/clothes/tops/long-sleeved-tops/black-burn-up-thermal-l/s-top/
www.sweatybetty.com/clothes/tops/long-sleeved-tops/red/pink/purple-bodymap-thermal-long-sleeve-run-top/
www.sweatybetty.com/clothes/tops/long-sleeved-tops/spectral-triumph-merino-run-top/

I have the last one. It isn't as warm as the blue one but so far it's been fine with a vest top under it, and if I am running hard I take it off and tie around my waist.

Suzannewithaplan Mon 15-Dec-14 12:53:23

Thanks Pootle, the necks are a bit higher but I was thinking more chin height (or would that be unfeasible? )
Still bloody expensive even with the sale reduction! ‎

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now