Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a decent exercise watch?

(16 Posts)
Lottapianos Thu 06-Nov-14 11:04:19

I currently run 5k about 3 times a week and am aiming to build up slowly to 10k. I only run for sanity and fitness and am not interested in competing so won't be training for races or anything. I would like to get an exercise watch that measures my time and distance, and maybe calories burned too. Nothing very expensive or super whizzy.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

CMOTDibbler Thu 06-Nov-14 11:09:17

I have a Garmin Forerunner 10 - about the £80 mark. It does time, distance, uploads your route and stats to the website so you can see your progress. I'm really pleased with it

Mitchy1nge Thu 06-Nov-14 11:46:05

I gave the gift of Garmin to a friend recently (my old FR10 and she seems thrilled with it) they have a new version of that out which is better at finding satellites apparently

am v attached, literally, wear it all the time as a watch, to my FR220

if I ever upgrade it will be another Garmin but one that is more multisports as mine is a bit shit for swimming and cycling although primarily I run so it's ok

VirtualPointyHat Thu 06-Nov-14 11:55:41

I have the misfit shine which I really like, but don't think it records distance

2madboys Thu 06-Nov-14 11:57:20

I also have the Garmin Forerunner 10. Run similar distances to you when I'm fit!

iwantgin Thu 06-Nov-14 12:05:06

I have the GArmin Forerunner 10 and think it is rubbish.

I returned it to Garmin twice- the first time they re-set it, the second they replaced it.

It won't pick up GPS - sometimes it does, usually it doesn't.

Maybe I was just unlucky- but I find that my Strava app on my phone is pretty much failsafe - that picks up satellites every single time.

Mitchy1nge Thu 06-Nov-14 12:08:45

but then you have to have a phone with you and stay where there is network coverage?

don't you get calls and texts and things or do you keep it on 'do not disturb'? have never used that function

Mitchy1nge Thu 06-Nov-14 12:09:40

(I don't miss the days of waiting for a few severely cold minutes to pick up a signal, at least the 220 is instant every time)

Lottapianos Thu 06-Nov-14 12:18:18

I currently use the MapMyRun app on my phone but my phone is too big and heavy for the pocket on my running trousers so I need something different.

Purplerunner Thu 06-Nov-14 12:20:15

I use the Endomondo app on my phone, which I wear in an armband. It tracks time, distance, calories burned etc. It uses GPS just like a Garmin so you don't need mobile phone coverage Mitchy. It automatically uploads your stats to the website which allows you to access more detailed information about your runs if you wish. I have no issues with it, it very occasionally loses the satellite signal but then so can a watch.

Suzannewithaplan Thu 06-Nov-14 13:03:09

there are some mega expensive and fancy ones out there!
You might want to look on the garmin forums for some info?

Suzannewithaplan Thu 06-Nov-14 13:05:17

Calories burned is a contentious and confusing issue
but I've developed a method which I will explain later if anyone is interestedwink

Lottapianos Thu 06-Nov-14 13:08:19

I'm interested Suzanne!

Maybe an armband for my phone is a better idea than a watch?

Suzannewithaplan Thu 06-Nov-14 13:22:09

Lotta, it is specific to using a heart rate monitor though

Without HRM calculating from time distance body weight and gradient are pretty accurate.
You can't directly measure calorie consumption (outside of a lab setting) you can only infer it by measuring other things which are related to it ‎

RunningGuerita Thu 06-Nov-14 15:51:59

I have the Garmin Forerunner 10 (£80). It will pick up the GPS signal much more quickly if you just put it near your window while you put your kit on. It will pick up a signal more quickly if it is static, often start your run from the same place and also if you upload your runs to the website (as it knows which satellites to try and ping). I don't like having to mess with my phone when I am running but clearly that is a much more cost effective options to use the many apps available.

RunningGuerita Thu 06-Nov-14 15:53:07

I have the Garmin Forerunner 10 (£80). It will pick up the GPS signal much more quickly if you just put it near your window while you put your kit on. It will pick up a signal more quickly if it is static, often start your run from the same place and also if you upload your runs to the website (as it knows which satellites to try and ping). I don't like having to mess with my phone when I am running but clearly that is a much more cost effective options to use the many apps available.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now