Talk

Advanced search

When do you start to see & feel the benefits?

(6 Posts)
PhoebeMcPeePee Tue 04-Nov-14 15:43:14

I've been exercising regularly for 2 months (2-3 x a week for the first month now 4 x / week) and I still seem out of breath on my run, struggle cycling up hills or more than about 15km & can't tell a difference in my shape (weight loss from diet aside).

Am I Expecting too much too soon or do I need to change my routine (run, 2 cycles & a class)

Momagain1 Tue 04-Nov-14 22:06:07

Do you still struggle because you are, in fact, going faster/working harder?

PhoebeMcPeePee Tue 04-Nov-14 22:29:33

I don't feel like I am particularly but I guess I could be. Today for example I did a 16km hilly ride that I first did 3 weeks ago & whilst I was a few minutes faster, I couldn't get any further up the hills & definitely didn't have much left in my legs by the end of it but was really hoping I'd notice a difference. And my bottom/legs are still so bloody wobbly smile

TaraKnowles Tue 04-Nov-14 22:33:17

Do you have muscle fatigue afterwards? Or are you sore the next day?

Momagain1 Tue 04-Nov-14 23:18:13

Faster is stronger! Yay! Are you doing a program, like the couch 2 5 k running program, building up gradually with sprints in stuff? Do cyclists do that? I dont know? I know with the running, they advise if you want to go further, you must slow down, you might end up 'running' at a walking pace. But once you know you can do the distance, then you start going faster.

Judging from threads like this on various other social media: some annoying people look astoundingly different in a short time, others change so gradually it isnt noticeable until it is very noticeable. That would be me.

Suzannewithaplan Wed 05-Nov-14 01:57:28

if you have been mostly sedentary for some time then there are lots of ways in which the body has to adapt in order to be more efficient, heart has to get stronger, blood supply to muscles has to increase, lung capacity needs to improve etc etc.
It might just be that everything hasnt quite come together yet.

Some people respond more strongly than others to exercise, but I think all people will respond.
It's probably easier to make a difference when you get to a certain level of fitness and are able to work at a higher intensity without feeling like you're about to die extremely uncomfortable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now