Talk

Advanced search

Weighted running vests?

(8 Posts)
ArgyMargy Sun 02-Nov-14 12:31:51

Does anyone here use a weighted vest while running? I'm wondering whether this would be a good idea for gym treadmill runs but I don't think I've seen anyone wearing one. And what kind of weight for a 5'3" 8.5st 50 year old?

Suzannewithaplan Sun 02-Nov-14 12:43:46

It's a way of increasing intensity but I'd be concerned it would make me too hot, running on a slight incline and/ or a little faster would have a similar effect.

It might be a way of increasing intensity with a lower risk of increasing musculoskeletal stress compared to the other options?

Maybe increase by 5% of body weight to start with? ‎

soundevenfruity Sun 02-Nov-14 13:32:42

There was a review in Guardian yesterday. The verdict was that it was good indoors for short bursts of activity but for long outdoor runs they were not too helpful. Mainly because you get exhausted very quickly.

ArgyMargy Sun 02-Nov-14 14:15:47

Thanks Suzanne - yes I think I was hoping to somehow save my hips & knees. I'll do some more digging.

The Guardian thing was what got me thinking about it! grin

Suzannewithaplan Sun 02-Nov-14 17:48:20

Argy, are you looking to stave off problems or alleviate current problems?

ArgyMargy Sun 02-Nov-14 18:02:30

Stave them off, Suzanne. Currently I'm fine but conscious that The Time Will Soon Come when pounding the treadmill may do more harm than good.

Suzannewithaplan Sun 02-Nov-14 19:47:33

I hear you!
I'm of similar age and bmi, currently to try and improve the cost/benefit ratio of running I:

keep it to every other day
mostly run at a slow pace but with a slight incline
spend some time at a faster pace and steeper incline to push heart rate up
dont run for more than an hour at a time
use other forms of cardio (outdoor cycling and cross trainer in gym)
regular yoga and strength training.

Afaik running (up to a point) is good for your knee's stimulates/strengthens the cartilage and tendons etc

ArgyMargy Sun 02-Nov-14 21:39:53

I'm trying to do more on the rowing machine - I used to do quite a lot and it's brilliant for strengthening the back and toning the stomach. Thanks for the encouragement re: the running. I'll try to do more variety in terms of incline & speed. To be honest I much prefer running outside but once the clocks change I revert to the gym.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now