Talk

Advanced search

I've just finished day1 week4 on c25k

(13 Posts)
coffeeandchoc Sat 01-Nov-14 19:15:32

Started c25k on the 29th sept, and couldn't finish all of the running for 60 second bits!
Today I ran day1 week4 and although it was very tough, I'm proud of myself because I ran both the full 5 minute sections smile
Still not convinced I'll be able to run 5k, but one step at a time.

TheCowThatLaughs Sat 01-Nov-14 19:29:26

Well done! I started on c25k and now training for a 10k. You will definitely run 5k, and more smile

CMOTDibbler Sat 01-Nov-14 19:36:11

Well done! It all seems so impossible, and then one day you find yourself running for 30 minutes grin

I did c25k last year having never been a runner in my life, and after completing the programme, then trained for a 10k, then a half marathon grin. Been running ever since

26Point2Miles Sat 01-Nov-14 20:44:46

I started c25k 2 years ago and same as cmot I've gone on to run more and more

Running London marathon in a few months!

You can do it!

coffeeandchoc Sun 02-Nov-14 16:26:05

Wow, you are all great inspiration for me to keep at it. I wouldn't say I am enjoying it at the moment but I do want to keep going. Even feeling the urge to go for a run today, which is a very strange sensation for me (never ever in my life have I wanted to exercise!!)

swampytiggaa Sun 02-Nov-14 17:39:50

I start week 8 tomorrow. Have actually really enjoyed the last couple of weeks of it. No where near running 5k yet but can run for 25 minutes at a time. I can work on the distance smile

Good luck coffeeandchoc!

BikeRunSki Sun 02-Nov-14 17:41:45

Like CMOT, I did the c25k 2 years ago, kept going, and have done 2 half marathons this year.

EdithDickie Sun 02-Nov-14 19:24:24

Well done coffee! Stick with it and you'll get fitter and able to go for longer. I started C25K in May and did a 10k race today grin if you'd told me then what I would do I would have laughed! So yeah, you're doing great, enjoy!

lurkingfromhome Wed 05-Nov-14 12:38:37

Yep, another one here: did C25K last summer, had a break, picked it up again this year, now run 10K quite easily and about to start aiming for half-marathon.

The thing about running is that it just gets easier the more you do it. I find running 10K now is so much easier than those early weeks of running for 5 or 10 minutes at a time when I honestly thought I would collapse in the street.

All the running you're doing now is really building up core fitness and stamina. You will absolutely be able to run 5k before you know it and then you might just want to keep going. grin

You can do it! Keep going!

MushroomSoup Sun 09-Nov-14 23:35:30

Have you found you've lost weight doing the running? Or just toned up? Has it changed your body shape at all?

Sparkky Mon 10-Nov-14 06:14:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lurkingfromhome Mon 10-Nov-14 12:55:06

I have lost weight but have been combining running with careful changes to my diet and I'd estimate that the running only contributes about 20%, perhaps more now that I'm running much longer distances. It has made weight loss through dieting easier rather than causing weight loss in itself, I think. My body shape is roughly the same but my legs and bum are much more toned and in general I feel strong and fit, which is a really good feeling.

I think a lot of people start running assuming the pounds will just fall off them (because it's hard at first and you kind of imagine effort = weight loss) but unless you're running a fairly significant distance you're not burning that many calories. A rule of thumb is 100 per mile. So if you run 5K, that burns around 300 calories, which is not bad as long as you don't come home hungry from your exercise and immediately raid the biscuit tin or whatever.

And of course while you're working up to the 5k you're burning quite a lot less - the C25K programme probably burns around 150-300 each time you go out and it takes a deficit of 3,500 calories to lose a single pound of weight. So it's not a miracle weight loss method in itself.

However, I don't mean to be too negative as (1) the general health benefits of running are amazing, (2) you will increase your metabolism and so will burn calories much faster, (3) if you're careful not to eat back the calories you do expend, then of course you will lose weight faster than if you don't exercise at all and (4) you will build muscle which is so much better than flab.

PS Am not remotely an expert here; these are just my own observations and I'm sure more knowledgeable people can add further running benefits to my list.

TheCowThatLaughs Mon 10-Nov-14 13:23:52

Just to add to what lurking has said, I find that when I exercise regularly, I'm much less likely to feel like overeating, and more drawn to eating healthier food generally for some reason. Would be interested to find out why this is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now