Talk

Advanced search

Can you help find me a sport?

(26 Posts)
AalyaSecura Tue 28-Oct-14 12:46:50

I finally have a bit more time to myself, and want to get more exercise by taking up a sport - but I'm struggling to think about what I might enjoy. What I'm after is a sport that is more individual than team based, but that you can do as part of a club so it's sociable, that can be done all year round without being miserable in the cold and rain, that isn't hugely competitive so that it doesn't matter that I'm only just starting out, and that I can keep going with into old age, so not something super high impact. Maybe something I can start to get coaching with to build up a level of capability (I'm a bit impatient if I am rubbish at something). Even better if it's something the dc can have a go at too.

Any ideas?

ItMustBeALime Tue 28-Oct-14 14:05:32

How about fencing? Is individual, can be sociable, and is inside so no cold and rain issues? And fine for children too depending on age?

Disclaimer: have never tried it but really fancied taking it up after last bout of Georgette Heyer reading. Sadly do not yet have any time...

msdolittle Tue 28-Oct-14 14:19:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ItMustBeALime Tue 28-Oct-14 14:21:27

The mumsnet consensus so far seems to be you need to take up a sport involving sharp points...!

pootlebug Tue 28-Oct-14 14:30:34

How old are you, OP? I took up triathlon last year age 37 and I love it. There are clubs for sociability and solo-training for when you prefer that. I don't get miserable in the winter though - just a bit wet.

Rowing clubs are also great places for sociability. Yes, it's a team (unless you row a single scull) but there should be a huge range of abilities so they can put you with some people who are also new-ish to it.

Personally I'd go for something like the above that builds your overall fitness more than say archery, but I know very little about archery so may be underestimating its fitness benefits.

slug Tue 28-Oct-14 14:35:50

Join a running club?

rb32 Tue 28-Oct-14 14:41:20

From reading your opening post I got Snooker!

slug Tue 28-Oct-14 14:50:30

Take up dancing in some form? My sister goes swing dancing and seems to have a ball while getting quite fit

AalyaSecura Tue 28-Oct-14 14:59:29

Ooh, replies! Some good ideas! I'm 43, and not very active, but not in bad shape considering. And I have limited strength (skinny), not sure I have the power for rowing, though I have enjoyed the social side of rowing in the past!

And I do love a bit of Georgette Heyer...

magpiegin Tue 28-Oct-14 15:01:28

Badminton, kayaking, table tennis, tennis, squash?

26Point2Miles Tue 28-Oct-14 15:06:00

Swimming?

HermioneDanger Tue 28-Oct-14 18:45:36

Crossfit?

BetsyBell Tue 28-Oct-14 18:59:45

I took up tae kwon do this year and I love it. I would recommend a martial art as you you build up your fitness slowly but surely and you can put as much into it as you want. Try out different clubs as they all have their own feel - they should let you try out a class for free.

Flowersandvegatables Tue 28-Oct-14 20:41:21

Snooker ��

Flowersandvegatables Tue 28-Oct-14 20:43:00

Snooker smile

Mumoftwoyoungkids Tue 28-Oct-14 20:43:45

Badminton, tennis or table tennis.

KatyMac Tue 28-Oct-14 20:47:55

I was going to say dancing too; whether ballroom or line, ballet or disco there is likely to something that interests you

It's indoor, social, can be competitive or not, kids can join it, not high impact initially but the better you get the more exercise it is

Salsa, Flamenco, Belly, Tango - I can list different types for hours - how about french circle dancing?

BikeRunSki Tue 28-Oct-14 20:48:48

Cycling

British cycling run beginners rides as part of their "SkyRide" campaign, and women's rides under their "Breeze" campaign.

optimistmum Tue 28-Oct-14 20:51:43

Dinghy sailing (with a drysuit for the winter). Very sociable clubs and can sail a single handed or double handed boat depending how sociable you feel.

ProveMeWrong Tue 28-Oct-14 21:14:18

I would say badminton or squash. I love both. Very sociable if you join a tournament/league thing. Are you sure you wouldn't like netball if you played as a shooter or goal keeper/ goal defence maybe? I had the most laughs at netball. Badminton though is really good all round and fairly low impact. I got taken along as a kid and watched my parents play while munching digestives and drinking squash. Table tennis is surprisingly physical too once you get good. I started at age 6ish so you could take kids along maybe to play?

AalyaSecura Tue 28-Oct-14 22:24:22

Thanks all, I really appreciate the ideas! I've been googling tae kwon do classes, climbing classes and tennis in my area, some things to follow up. I'm also wondering about badminton, it was my best sport as a young teen, played for county, but I eventually went off it and stopped. I don't know if I want to go back to it or not. I was never keen on mixed doubles, male partners seemed very patronising and bossy!

I was also once a demon darts player...

Twitterqueen Tue 28-Oct-14 22:30:58

Have very recently started line dancing and absolutely love it. You don't need a partner and it is truly cross-generation. In my class we have from 13 (ish) to 88.

I also love fencing and did it for years, but you do need to be pretty fit.
Tap-dancing. Again, did this for years and loved it.
Tennis - fab, but very time-intensive
Running - I'm too old and fat now, but I do speed-walking, though it's a very solo activity.
Bowls? Don't laugh. It's very big round here.

FusionNetball Thu 30-Oct-14 12:08:06

I know it was mentioned above but Netball is a great sport to get in to! There are lots of local clubs and friendly or competitive leagues across the country to get involved with, and is a very very sociable sport whether you're a player, umpire or coach!

The sport is very inclusive of all ages and abilities too. In our club, Fusion Netball in Ruislip, we even have mums and daughters playing together. Which is just brilliant and a great opportunity for them to spend quality time together doing something they both enjoy.

England Netball's website (www.englandnetball.co.uk) is super helpful if you are interested in finding out more.

Hope thats a little helpful anyway smile
Carla, Fusion Netball Club

Llareggub Thu 30-Oct-14 12:11:47

I was also going to suggest fencing. My son has just started and he loves it.

I used to enjoy rowing. I was never a competitive rower but just did it for the fun and a bit of fitness.

AYellowCreation Fri 31-Oct-14 16:02:58

Ten pin bowling as part of a club - they do exist. DC can get involved too and take part in tournaments and win fab trophies.

Dancing - Ceroc, modern jive - great exercise - lots of nice people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now