Talk

Advanced search

Am I being realistic - 10k fun run less 3 months after graduating C25K?

(15 Posts)
JapaneseMargaret Sun 26-Oct-14 21:08:11

I am on week 5 of C25K and really enjoying it. I will finish at the end of November, and want to ensure that I keep going, and even build on what I've done.

There's a local fun run on 22 Feb, and there are 6.5k and 10k (and a half marathon, but that's definitely out!) options. Registrations open next Monday, and I'm trying to decide between the two.

I kind of feel like finishing 6.5 will be a bit of an anticlimax on the day! Whereas I know I'll be so happy if I can finish 10k.

However, I don't want to be unrealistic.

I'm 40 and reasonably fit - not massively so, but am really enjoying working my way through the C25K runs.

Any thoughts or tips would be really welcome.

EauRouge Mon 27-Oct-14 08:22:41

Not unrealistic at all. I found going from 5-10k way easier than C25k. The first couple of k of any race is always the worst, once you get your rhythm then the rest is easy. You could follow a training programme like this sort of thing or just increase your distance by 10% each week. Core strength work helps too.

pootlebug Mon 27-Oct-14 08:37:58

That's a realistic aim. Try and increase distance on at least one run per week (doesn't have to be all of them) once you get to the end of C25K. Adding 1k per week is doable and will get you there well within timescale.

It's also worth popping along to your local parkrun if you have one to practice some consistent 5Ks once you get a little bit further through your C25K training.

JapaneseMargaret Mon 27-Oct-14 08:45:40

Thanks so much for your replies!

It's great to know that it's doable. I have been doing a bit of googling in terms of what I can do after I finish C25K, and it does seen as if there are a few training podcasts I can choose from.

Fortunately, it is coming into summer down here now, so it's gradually getting lighter as I head out each morning, and will continue to do so. Hopefully it'll be a habit that's fairly well ingrained by the time autumn roles around, especially if I have a decent run under my belt.

BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Mon 27-Oct-14 08:50:42

Yes completely doable. I did my first 10K after only 6 months of running.

lurkingfromhome Mon 27-Oct-14 18:42:05

I too found going from 5k to 10k a million times easier than getting to 5k in the first place. I think if you can run 5k you've built up a really good level of basic fitness and then you just need to work on your stamina a bit. Much much easier than getting to the point where you can actually run for 30 minutes in the first place.

I used the Bridge to 10K app (by Bluefin) that gets you from 5k to 10k in 6 weeks. I think though that I actually did it a bit quicker than that (and I am quite old so was trying not to be too gung-ho in case I got injured!).

Contemplating a half-marathon now ...

EauRouge Mon 27-Oct-14 18:44:43

If you can run 10k then you can do a half marathon <bad influence> grin

PinkyAndTheBump Mon 27-Oct-14 18:49:26

Yes! You can do it. I went from zero to about 8km between Christmas and mid-March and I'm sure I could have done another 2km if our route had allowed.

MyEmpireOfDirt Mon 27-Oct-14 18:50:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JapaneseMargaret Mon 27-Oct-14 19:57:32

Wow, thanks so much everyone!

I am at the point where I want to run every day, but am aware that that might do more harm than good, so am holding off!

Once you all hit the 5k mark, did you stick to running every other day?

MyEmpireOfDirt Mon 27-Oct-14 20:22:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BlueChampagne Wed 29-Oct-14 20:33:39

Do it do it do it

spookyskeleton Wed 29-Oct-14 20:37:05

I ran a 10k about a month after graduating so yes, you can do it smile

I agree with a PP that once you get those first few minutes over and get into a rhythm, it definitely gets easier!

JapaneseMargaret Wed 29-Oct-14 20:48:35

Yay, I feel so excited about it. Registrations open on Monday and I'm definitely going to go for the 10k option, thanks to all of your input. flowers

I did W5 R3 - the 20 min run - this morning. The last 5 mins of my run and the warm-down walk are all uphill so it was tough going at the end, but am loving how I feel for the rest of the day. smile

OneCabbageTree Tue 04-Nov-14 08:10:17

Just popping in to say you must live in the same city as me and I've just signed up to the 10km as well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now