Talk

Advanced search

Will this get me fit/help lose weight?

(30 Posts)
Redtartanshoes Mon 20-Oct-14 20:53:51

Have embarked on fitness campaign/diet.

Swimming x 3 per week (med pace breast stroke 1 hour continuos)
1x40 min spin class
1-2 5km (40 mins so jog/fast walk)

I want to lose at least another half stone but actually just get fit. And tone.

Anything else I could/should do? Could probably fit in a lunch time metafit or kettlebellls?

Thanks

puppy123 Mon 20-Oct-14 21:10:10

What does the diet side look like? I heard that is 70% of what will lose you weight regardless of exercise! Good luck!

peppapigonaloop Mon 20-Oct-14 21:11:53

If you are looking to tone I would put some weights/resistance work in there. You have a lot of cardio but not much which will really tone you up.
Also as Puppy said what does you diet look like? That is crucial.

Mitchy1nge Mon 20-Oct-14 21:12:10

they say it all starts in the kitchen!

Asleeponasunbeam Mon 20-Oct-14 21:13:42

I'd swap some of the swimming for more running (c25k?) and use MyFitnessPal.

Thereyouarepeter Mon 20-Oct-14 22:14:07

suppose it also depends what you starting weight is/ BMI.

Redtartanshoes Mon 20-Oct-14 22:19:22

Thanks!

The diet is going well, lost 2 stone (1/2 through stress), looking at 1200kcal a day but sometimes doing a 5:2 to mix things up.

I thought you might say more running. I'm rubbish at it, which is why I do more swimming.. Could swim for hours.. I know that's not the point though is it grin

Mitchy1nge Mon 20-Oct-14 22:20:26

well that's 4 and a bit extra hours of activity each week so by sticking to it I'm sure you will feel a difference

it takes time though

Redtartanshoes Mon 20-Oct-14 22:20:38

I could do weights as we have a gym at work.

Weight is 11stone size 12-14

Mitchy1nge Mon 20-Oct-14 22:22:03

x-posted

I think doing what you enjoy is the point! You won't work hard at something you hate and it's much easier not to do a workout if it never gives you a buzz

rookiemater Mon 20-Oct-14 22:22:17

Metafit is good - and quick. I'd be concerned that your fitness plan takes up a lot of time, but you could get better results by swapping it around a bit. So cut back on the swimming sessions and replace one with a metafit session which combines cardio with some weight resistance.

To be honest, I've found that exercise is not particularly good for losing weight, but it is good to stop you gaining and for toning up.

Redtartanshoes Mon 20-Oct-14 22:25:32

I can do gym stuff on a lunch hour, but only swim on an evening... I enjoy it though do as you say that's the main thing, and I'm finding it's helping my mental health a lot!

Will try a metafit class too! Thanks

capercaillie Mon 20-Oct-14 22:27:16

If you're swimming for fitness or timing, then make sure you're properly out of breath for a good proportion of it. Speedo have some good training plans. Add in some sprints/faster lengths. Also try and do some different strokes or kick using a float. I have lost weight by swimming but you do need to push it and not take it too easy.

AlfAlf Mon 20-Oct-14 22:29:00

Personally I don't see the point of doing more of something you don't like doing (well, erm I know the point is losing weight, but a regime is more sustainable if you're enjoying it smile), so can you fit in a ramble in the woods/up a hill with the dc at the weekends instead of more running? Healthy and fun for everyone.
I'd also recommend Pilates; even a class a week would be great for toning up.

Suzannewithaplan Tue 21-Oct-14 13:25:03

do you really think pilates makes much difference?
I found it helpful for abs but really too gentle for the rest of the body, certainly no substite for weight training

Mitchy1nge Tue 21-Oct-14 13:29:38

yoga with the crazier inversions will tone anyone much faster than pilates

nilbyname Tue 21-Oct-14 13:29:55

HIIT-High Intensity Interval Training.

Look at making sure some of your swimming and running leaves you absolutely gasping for breath at some points so for example-

Sprint flat out for 90seconds, then jog/fast walk for 60 seconds and keep doing that for 15minutes.

Weights, heavier than you think, lots of reps, 3 sets.

This will shred fat like nothing else.

I do yoga for cool down/stretching after my gym sessions and has been excellent for that purpose and toning too.

Good luck and well done!

SummerSazz Tue 21-Oct-14 13:33:03

Pilates was excellent toning for me, albeit I was shredding regularly too so that probably helped it along

Suzannewithaplan Tue 21-Oct-14 13:37:33

I agree about yoga Mitchy, then again you need to be a gymnast to do really 'advanced' yoga...dont you?

Mitchy1nge Tue 21-Oct-14 13:40:10

I haven't been a 'gymnast' since I was about 12 but I can do handstands, handstand push-ups, some inversions quite easily. Some that look easy I find fucking hard, like the crow, but I think that's about fear of falling onto my face!

bangersmashandbeans Tue 21-Oct-14 13:40:21

I agree with nilbyname - for weight loss you need to up the intensity a d definitely put some weight training in - the heavier the better - you won't get bulky at all but it is amazing for fat burning.

Redtartanshoes Tue 21-Oct-14 19:20:24

Thanks for all of the advice.

Did a sh'bam class today, it's Zumba esque sex moves shock but it was good fun.

Kettle bells tomorrow and going to speak to gym man about weights program.

Fat burning is what I want have enough to supply local chippy

specialsubject Tue 21-Oct-14 19:27:17

pilates won't use many calories although it does strengthen.

1200 calories a day is very low. How tall are you, OP? Or more effectively - what's your waist to height ratio? Dress sizes are random.

Redtartanshoes Tue 21-Oct-14 20:19:35

Only 5"2 so teeny tiny.

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Tue 21-Oct-14 20:32:10

Red, I'm the same height as you and have lost nearly 4 stone in the last year, mainly by keeping to 1200kcals per day. I've gone from a size 18-20 to 10-12 by doing bootcamp twice a week (mostly body weight exercise and cardio) and running twice a week (5-6km/35-45mins depending on the day). I love swimming too, but found it useless for weight loss as I find it very difficult to push myself doing it. If you're enjoying it though and it's good for your mental health, keep it up. The only thing I'd be worried about is that you're planning an awful lot and you might burn out pretty quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now