Talk

Advanced search

Runners thread number 7

(1000 Posts)
Sirzy Tue 02-Sep-14 17:26:44

Open for any runners, or any runners looking to get their 'mojo' back.

I have a 10k on Sunday which I am feeling less than prepared for, and the stomach bug is just adding to that. I have a feeling I will be the slowest runner!

Sirzy Tue 02-Sep-14 17:28:18

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/exercise/2115859-Runners-thread-number-6?msgid=49253024#49253024

Last thread and current total is at 29.1

cinnamongreyhound Tue 02-Sep-14 19:21:38

Thanks Sirzy smile

TessTackle Tue 02-Sep-14 19:25:11

Thanks Sirzy x

EdithDickie Tue 02-Sep-14 19:28:36

Please may I join?

Been running since the end of May and I am in love with it grin

Up to 5k without stopping so far.

I bought some new trainers today. They are beautiful! Just waiting for dd to fall asleep so I can take them out for a spin!

EdithDickie Tue 02-Sep-14 19:29:00

I hope that your stomach is better soon Sirzy

Morrigu Tue 02-Sep-14 19:35:26

Hope you feel better soon Sirzy there seems to be a lot of stomach bugs about atm.

Hi Edith, what trainers did you get? I'm always nosey when it comes to shoes grin

JennyOnTheBlocks Tue 02-Sep-14 19:37:54

can i jump in please?

not run since my hysterectomy in May, and have entered the ballot for VLM shock

i've been cycling on my exercise bike for a couple of weeks, to loosen up my legs but now chomping to get out and run!

EdithDickie Tue 02-Sep-14 20:52:12

They are Oasics ones. Turns out I roll in on my ankles and these are kinda built up on the inside. Now I feel like I am a bit bandy legged when I run! Not wanting to sound shallow but they are bright yellow with pink laces. So pretty!

Just did 3.5 miles in them. Walked 100 paces after mile 2 as had stitch. Not too bad.

EdithDickie Tue 02-Sep-14 20:52:59

Ooh Jenny when do you find out if you have a place?

Hope that you have made a good recovery from your opinion.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Tue 02-Sep-14 20:59:03

Evening all,

Checking in and marking place place on the new fred.

No mileage to add as I only got back from hols yesterday. I hope to get out tomorrow after work, fingers crossed.

JennyOnTheBlocks Tue 02-Sep-14 21:11:56

find out in about 4 weeks, won't be bothered if i don't get one, but will be mega chuffed if i do - only started running this time last year and had almost 4 months off grin

mentally i'm up for it, really excited

HalleLouja Tue 02-Sep-14 21:47:11

Shiny new thread grin

HalleLouja Tue 02-Sep-14 21:47:58

[Waves at newbies]

Sirzy get better soon.

MelanieCheeks Tue 02-Sep-14 21:51:23

Marking new thread, no running this week as I'm suffering from a cold

SoftKittyWarmKitty Tue 02-Sep-14 23:02:09

Adding Edith's 3.5 miles to the total brings us to 32.6. I ran 2 miles yesterday and 5.4 with running club tonight, so that brings us to 40 miles.

My toes are hurting. I definitely need a gait analysis and beautifully coloured new trainers grin.

EdithDickie Wed 03-Sep-14 04:01:00

Wow Jenny that's inspirational stuff! Only a year on plus you've had time off and you are up for marathons!

EdithDickie Wed 03-Sep-14 04:11:50

Question..... I am very slow. 12-13 minutes per mile generally.

I have entered a 10k in November and a half marathon in April.

Is it best to work on distance / time on my feet and then worry about speed or should I be trying to pick up the pace now?

Thanks smile

cinnamongreyhound Wed 03-Sep-14 07:44:48

Covering the miles is most important EdithDickie. Unless your races have a minimum time I personally wouldn't try to speed up until you feel ready to cover the distance. You can/should do a speed sessions once a week anyway as part of hm training and you'll find as you increase distance your pace over shorter distances increases naturally.

Morrigu Wed 03-Sep-14 12:52:26

Nothing wrong with liking shoes of pretty colours Edith. I love mine because they're turquoise grin. I'm certainly no expert on running but I would work on distance too before thinking about pace. I was doing some half marathon training and used parkrun for my speed session a lot.

Talking of half marathons my gp has given the go-ahead for next weekend!!! I never realised he's actually a hm runner himself and we had a good chat about training and times and that.

There was some debate over my blood pressure with various doctors freaking out over how high it was and not listening to me when I said it was 'white coat' syndrome, especially with a lot of family history of heart and bp probs. It was making me very anxious and really affecting my running as I was getting nervy and breathless when out. My usual doc said it is perfect (he does put me more at ease when taking it) and I have nothing to worry about. So went out today and did 7.5 miles. Could have done more only I hadn't planned on going out so long and didn't bring anything to drink or any money to buy something. Loved it. My breathing was great again, my heart wasn't racing and feel like I have a total weight off now.

Now the thing is should I attempt my last long run on Saturday or not? I really would feel more comfortable knowing for certain I'd be able to do 10 miles. Or should I just forget it as I'm not banking on a time and do parkrun?

ThursdayLast Wed 03-Sep-14 12:54:32

Marking place smile

Morrigu Wed 03-Sep-14 13:03:56

oops forgot to add 47.5

HalleLouja Wed 03-Sep-14 14:27:27

Am thinking of signing up for Buntingford 10 miles on 28th December. Have time to get to the distance. Depends how flat it is.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Wed 03-Sep-14 17:20:30

Great news Morrigu! Good luck for next weekend.

Edith, I agree with everything Cinnamon says, (she is a wise and experienced runner!) grin I am currently in training for 10 miles at the end of Oct and I do one fast 5K, one medium distance run of around 45min-1hr and then one long slow run per week. I have found as I have increased my distance on the long run that the times for the other two have got quicker, albeit very slightly quicker.

I have 4.9 miles to add today so our total is now 52.4. It was my first run in over a week after coming back from holiday and it was BLOODY BRILLIANT. I have a warm fuzzy endorphin-y feeling. grin

cinnamongreyhound Wed 03-Sep-14 17:47:40

Great news Morrigu, how about a slower parkrun followed by 7 miles wink

Laughing at me being a wise and experienced runner CardiffUniversityNetballTeam!!!!

My running buddy is working tonight and wants to run so in going tomorrow now, need company for motivation atm! Going to use our almost expired groupon tonight instead. Dh is worried about me stomaching an Indian meal but I think I'll be fine, I feel ok by about 4.30pm smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.