Talk

Advanced search

Anyone seen results from swimming post pregnancy for weight loss/toning?

(7 Posts)
kerry85 Fri 04-Apr-14 07:58:22

Since having my little one I've lost 2 stone. I could do to loose another 7-9 lb
I joined the gym 2 months ago and have been going 3 times a week for an hour each time.
However I'm starting to get a bit bored of the gym but I've really enjoyed a swim over the past couple of weeks.

I want to know if I'll get weight loss and toning results from swimming? (I'm healthy eating as well and counting calories to loose weight)

I do feel fitter from going to the gym but I'm not feeling or looking toned yet... Hoping swimming will help??

Thanks

capercaillie Fri 04-Apr-14 08:05:28

Yes I have - you have to swim fairly hard though. Aim to do a reasonable number of lengths and be out of breath during your swim. A lot of people don't push themselves swimming so don't see results. Also do different strokes if you can or some drills (eg kicking with a float ).

Combined with pilates or similar then it's fantastic for stomach toning.

Well done on weight loss!

kerry85 Fri 04-Apr-14 08:12:36

Thank you smile

I manage about 28 lengths in 30 mins so going to build it up from there.
Going to buy some goggles today, as a wear contact lenses so I'll be able to do more than just breast stroke!

capercaillie Fri 04-Apr-14 14:15:56

Definitely buy goggles! And possibly a swimming cap if you can bear it - it makes a big difference to the state of hair and less likely to smell of chlorine!

Try and do a few faster lengths or vary pace as well - with a few seconds/ minute break in between. You'll be amazed at how all your swimming improves.

bekind Fri 04-Apr-14 21:09:08

Thanks for the prompt, I need to do some more drills and vary my stroke,

gordonpym Tue 08-Apr-14 06:30:49

I did my lifeguard certification right after DS2 birth and I can guarantee you can get a very toned body in a swimming pool. If a course is starting near you, why not enroll? It's a new skill you may use one day.
You're with a team and you are forced to swim hard and fast!

amanda966 Sun 14-Feb-16 21:43:39

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now