Talk

Advanced search

C25K ... what next?

(8 Posts)
calamitygin Mon 31-Mar-14 17:39:34

I've just completed a 9 week C25K programme and would like some advice on where to go from here. Do i stick with 5k distance and try and improve my pace - i'm quite slow, pace for last run 11.28 minute/mile. Or do i get cracking with a 10k training programme.

I have 2 goals, the first is to be able to run a 5k in under 30 mins (at current pace i can do 2.6 miles in 30 mins), the second is to be able to run a 10k (eventually) without stopping.

What do you think?

addictedtosugar Mon 31-Mar-14 20:06:06

Congrats on getting off the couch.
I finished a while ago, and have no fantasies of getting to 10km (I won't commit the time), but have been doing 2 of the C25K+ podcasts from the NHS - an intervals one, and a staged 35 mins run - gets slowly faster over the time, and you run to the beat.
Since I started going further (just under 7km), the shorter runs - there is a 4.3km from work I try to do some lunchtimes - are getting faster.
If your not ready to go for 10km, I'd try a mixture of longer slower runs, and shorter, push yourself faster runs.
There are a couple of C25k and general running threads about which might be worth searching out to get hold of the right people for proper advice.

calamitygin Mon 31-Mar-14 20:37:35

You sound like 'the right sort of people' to me smile I like the idea of running to the beat to improve times, can you link to podcast?

Thanks for your kind words ... congratulations to you too. 10 years ago I would run 10k twice a week BEFORE work in just under 60 minutes. I wouldove to get back to that level ... and the body that came with it grin

addictedtosugar Mon 31-Mar-14 20:43:32

the music is pretty dire tho

I've had a couple of the neighbours see me running, and ask if I enjoy it. The answer is no, but its the best fit for getting exercise into a busy life when exercise classes don't fit round kids / illness / getting caught at work smile I'm really not a runner, so not best placed to advise.

EauRouge Tue 01-Apr-14 06:30:18

You can do both! I usually do one long run a week to build up distance, one fast run (usually 5k) to try and improve my times and then a couple of others of intervals, hills, trail, parkrun, bimble about in the country, whatever I fancy. The best thing to do is add variety- if you just do 5k at the same speed 3 times a week then you'll improve much more slowly.

If you want to increase speed then try some strength work on your non-running days. Doesn't have to be anything serious, something like the 30 day shred or 30 day plank challenge will help loads.

Have you done a parkrun yet? Those are brilliant for helping you improve. You meet loads of experienced runners who can give you tips and you'll get to find out about local races too. Don't worry about being slow or inexperienced, they are really friendly and welcoming.

If you like the structure of a training plan then there are loads available for 5-10k and improvers 5k.

Hope that helps a bit! I was just about to finish C25k this time last year and it is a bit daunting trying to figure out what to do next.

calamitygin Tue 01-Apr-14 10:23:35

Hi eaurouge yes! that really does help thanks. I get bored very very easily so mixing it up sounds good to me.

I ummed and arred about my run this morning and in the end plumped for a 5k improver which consisted of 300m run, 100m walk ...it took me 37.5 mins to do it but I was pleased with my effort. Think I will stick to that this week and then do a longer run next week before I go on holiday and then work out a proper schedule when I get bback. Excited now, I love a schedule!

I haven't tried Park Run yet but will definitely sign up when I get back from hols as there is one 5 minutes away from where I am.

BTW, i think i have chatted to you before about goldfish or am I mixing you up with someone else??

EauRouge Tue 01-Apr-14 13:06:19

Ha, yes, I am the fish geek blush I'm a running geek as well now! Have a lovely holiday and good luck sorting out a training plan when you get back.

calamitygin Tue 01-Apr-14 13:10:17

that sounds like a blog to me ... "The Running Fish Geek" grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now