Talk

Advanced search

New iPhone owner - how is yours set up for running? Can you help me?

(6 Posts)
IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 28-Mar-14 09:57:14

I was running 5k a couple of times a week until New Year but for various reasons I haven't run for the past 3 months. I'm keen to get up to 10k by August.

I followed couch25k to get going last year and really liked the structured programme. I like having goals and direction to achieve them. I used an iPod nano so didn't get any feedback re: speed and distance etc but I would really like that kind of data.

Can anyone suggest podcasts or apps that might suit me to get up to 10k? I am a technophobe so please keep it simple!!!

Anjelika Fri 28-Mar-14 14:31:48

Hi Iwish

I downloaded the NHS Choices Couch to 5k podcasts last summer and followed them. After that I spent some time trying to find the "right" 5k to 10k app for me - I wanted one that didn't go back to running-walking but focused solely on running AND only expected you to run 3 times a week. I got Active's 5k-to-10k app and really like it. It is time rather than distance focused. You play your own music whilst it's on and it logs how far you've run each time and the time taken and average pace (min per km). You can also log "free runs" on there i.e just running for enjoyment rather than following the schedule. I have also used the Map My Run app which does just that - it uses GPS to actually map out where you've run and the distance and time. Good luck with it all!

Anjelika

Sirzy Fri 28-Mar-14 14:34:12

I use runkeeper to track my runs, they also have training plans you can use to get to 10k I think

FreckledLeopard Fri 28-Mar-14 14:54:33

I use MapMyRun. It's easier to use, helpful stats etc.

BlueChampagne Fri 28-Mar-14 22:58:07

Mapmyrun here too

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 29-Mar-14 20:47:19

Thanks. I'll have a look at all three things that have been mentioned and see which I can understand best!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now