Talk

Advanced search

Question for all experienced 10 mile/marathon runners

(8 Posts)
SerendipityAlways Thu 13-Mar-14 10:07:41

I am due to do my second 10 mile race of the year on Sunday week 23 March. I've been training regularly and hard. This week I am just bunched and finding each run a total slog! I went out on a tempo run (a fast 10K) last night and had to cut it short as legs were dead.
I did my last long run (10 miles) last Sat and would be due to do my last long run before the race this weekend. I don't know if I have it in me and am just wondering if I am better off just resting completely and taking a few days off before the race day? I'm very active and fit and have been running for over 3 years so general fitness is not a problem - just general exhaustion..! Thank You.

CMOTDibbler Thu 13-Mar-14 13:08:01

If you are exhausted, then rest. Your body is trying to tell you something.

woodlandwanderwoman Thu 13-Mar-14 13:09:18

Definitely rest, the hard work is done now. If you want to go for a short run it does no harm but listen to your body. Good luck!

EauRouge Thu 13-Mar-14 13:21:17

Yes, you should always do a race on fresh legs- that's why training plans always taper mileage in the last couple of weeks. You won't lose any fitness by having a few days off.

SerendipityAlways Thu 13-Mar-14 14:57:06

Thank you all for the good advice - !

Technical Thu 13-Mar-14 15:01:58

Yes, definitely rest. I'm doing HM on Sun. I did my last long run on Saturday (but cut the mileage considerably from the previous week) a short (10k is too far IMO this close to a race) tempo run on Sunday an easy hour on Tues eve and will do another easy run tonight. No more running after that until race day.

If you do a long run this weekend make it around 50% your previous long run (so not really a long run!) No more fast runs until the race.

TBH if you do no more running at all until the race it will be better than doing to much.

Chopstheduck Thu 13-Mar-14 15:04:28

Def rest and are you fueling enough beforehand? I get like that if I go out on an empty stomach.

SerendipityAlways Thu 13-Mar-14 17:03:17

Chopstheduck - yes, I need to re look at fueling properly pre-run, thats definitely part of the problem. Great advice too Technical, thank you and very best of luck in your HM!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now