Talk

Advanced search

Best bike for a triathlon

(7 Posts)
Valdeeves Mon 10-Mar-14 23:16:05

Please tell me about a great light weight bike I can buy - and even more fantastic if it doesn't break the bank. Thanks in advance! Xxxx

Thistledew Mon 10-Mar-14 23:17:59

What is your rough budget?

If you are on a limited budget you would be better off going to an independent bike store and getting something second hand. You would get a lot more for your money.

Thistledew Mon 10-Mar-14 23:36:13

C'mon! I wanna go virtual bike shopping!

I mean, if you want the "best bike for triathlon" then I would go for one of these:

Specialized Shiv

But I guess that doesn't fit your criteria for not breaking the bank. wink

Thistledew Mon 10-Mar-14 23:39:21

So much depends on your budget. There are a reasonable number of aluminium road bikes to be had for around £500, which would do you perfectly well for a bit of entry-level triathlon. But if you want something truly light weight, then you need a carbon frame, which start at around £1,000 for a frame with cheaper components.

Pipkinhartley Tue 11-Mar-14 17:48:54

How about this:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bianchi-c2c-nirone-7-sora-2013/
Bargain at £550, from £800 in the sale, but only 50 or 61 frames.
Beautiful bikes, I've got one of these (but finished in the Celeste green paintwork) and even though alloy, it's still reasonably light.
I've also got a a carbon frame (Orbea) and don't notice a huge difference in weight - I got the Bianchi cos I wanted a larger frame (the Orbea is tiny, 49, but great for short fast rides)
Good luck with triathlon, would love to try a sprint tri but sadly foot injury that's not responding too well to physio curtailed my running. That said, not being able to run has made me fall in love with cycling!

gindrinker Wed 12-Mar-14 20:24:00

Ive got this (last years colour) m.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/synapse-6-tiagra-2014-womens-road-bike-ec054936

Its lovely and makes me smile every time I ride it.

pootlebug Sun 16-Mar-14 13:29:02

Does your employer do the 'cycle to work' scheme? You might be able to get a bike through that to save on cost.

I have one of these http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jamis/xenith-endura-sport-2012-road-bike-ec031746 and if you can fit the small frame it is a great price for a new carbon bike. I got mine 2nd hand on ebay in great shape for £300.

I have my eye on a Planet X carbon tri bike too....but want to see how my first triathlons in 12 years go first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now