Talk

Advanced search

can anyone recommend a bike for me? Bit of a novice.

(5 Posts)
workatemylife Fri 07-Mar-14 14:01:26

I'm trying to get back into cycling to work after a bit of a break - my bike was stolen, and I'm looking for a replacement.

Basic requirements: I cycle about 3 or 4 miles each way, and sometimes have a trailer on the back with a lazy DC in it. I like an upright cycling position, and although my route is fairly flat, it is quite busy so there's a fair amount of stopping and starting. I'm unlikely to be mountain biking or doing anything very sporty.

My last bike was, I think, a 'hybrid', which was fine - did a decent job on the road but also on the gravel paths en route. It had 18 gears, but I probably never used most of them (ooops!) - tend to sit in the middle / upper range. I'm about 5ft 6inches so reckon maybe a 18 inch frame?

Cost? Reasonably cheap and cheerful. After my bike was stolen I decided to look at the second hand market, reckoning that something that was a bit bruised looking might be a safer bet. But the cycle shops near me don't really do second hand, and I'm slightly wary of the small-ads. I would be willing to order online new as long as the bike didn't arrive in a million pieces! There's a Halfords within reach, but I don't know if that's a decent bet or not.

If any of you own something that sounds a bit like this, or can recommend an online retailer, I'd be very grateful.

BlueChampagne Fri 07-Mar-14 15:50:51

If you're towing a trailer, you may find you want more gears as your DC gets bigger. If you use the bike regularly, it will soon lose its sparkly new appearance!

If you have an independent bike shop near you, I'd go to that over Halfords; they should give good advice.

Good luck - hope you find what you're after, and enjoy getting back into it.

workatemylife Sun 09-Mar-14 08:02:35

Thanks - good advice on the gears! My leg muscles need all the help they can get grin

VivaLeBeaver Sun 09-Mar-14 08:05:22

Have you got a decathalon near you? They do a decent range of own brand bikes.

Ouchouchouchetyouch Sun 09-Mar-14 08:08:01

The small ads can be great for bikes- I got my lovely one from a card posted up in the sainsburys noticeboard from a lady who'd developed a bone problem soon after she bought it. It was (and is, as I treat it better than my children...)sparkling and only £50.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now