Talk

Advanced search

Oh dear- tried running :(

(7 Posts)
ElectricalBanana Wed 05-Mar-14 18:05:46

I attempted the couch to 5k thing last week. I walked for the allotted time...I ran for....20 seconds, coughed and threw up gasping for air. Was not a good look throwing up at the side of the road.

Yes I do have asthma but 20 fucking seconds for fucks sake!!

I have lost over a stone in 6 weeks ( I have another two to lose) and I hoped running would help me along.

Haven't tried running since as I have had a lovely D&V bug ( not related to running voms) but I am thinking of just walking briskly for the mean time. Then building up to the running.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 05-Mar-14 18:11:20

I swear it will get better.

I tried it last year (over 40, 5 stone overweight, hadn't run for 25 years) - managed after 6 weeks to get up to running for 2 minutes - think 8 times in the session roughly.

Only gave it up as I fell over and hurt myself blush

I will go back to it and I swear it will get better - I realise the above results are shit for anyone with a normal level of fitness but for me it was amazing.

Good luck smile

cupcake78 Wed 05-Mar-14 18:15:23

Your running way to fast! You may find that to start with you run as fast as you walk.

CMOTDibbler Wed 05-Mar-14 18:17:41

It will get better - and maybe you had the D&v bug brewing when you ran? Just take the run really gently

EauRouge Wed 05-Mar-14 18:23:44

Yes, sounds like you are going too fast. I used an app to track my pace when I started couch to 5k and the pace I did on the running bits in week one was faster than my current 5k pace- it's very common to start too fast.

You should be running at a 'conversational pace' ie one that would allow you to chat to someone if you were running together. It doesn't matter how slowly this is, there's loads of time to build up speed.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 05-Mar-14 18:24:23

God yes, forgot to say that my dh walks faster than my running - you have to run as slow as you can.

BlueChampagne Thu 06-Mar-14 11:33:44

Walking briskly is good. Wait till you're fully recovered and try running again, but SLOWLY! Takes a while to find your natural pace. I am >40, have asthma, and did 10k Race for Life last year. First HM this year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now