Talk

Advanced search

Half marathon madness!

(22 Posts)
Watto1 Sun 02-Mar-14 14:11:03

I'm in need of advice please! I've somehow managed to agree to run a half marathon. It will be roughly this time next year. Problem is, I am a terrible runner! I am approx 2 stone overweight and not very fit. I go to a spinning class twice a week and am a wreck afterwards.

Am I stupid to even consider it? Is going from being unable to run for more than a minute or 2 without stopping to being able to run 13 miles doable in 12 months? I really want to do this as it is for a charity very close to my heart.

Thanks in advance

MrsBobHale Sun 02-Mar-14 15:00:28

Yes I'd say this was doable, and you are already doing some exercise with spinning class so you're not starting from rock bottom.

I started running from being unable to walk up the stairs without a rest, at about 1.5 stone overweight. That was 9 yrs ago. C25K didn't exist then, but I did a similar method. Start by running for 30 seconds, walk for 30 seconds, then upped it to 1 min / 30 secs and then just tried to run non-stop for 5 mins, have a rest then do it again.

I would suggest that you find yourself a 5k run to do around May, a 10k around November, and tackle each one in turn, and don't worry too much about the half until you're up to running 10k. Then start a half marathon training schedule with about 3 months to go.

Also if you can join a running club once you've got a 5k under your belt it will help massively.

Good luck!

Watto1 Sun 02-Mar-14 16:04:01

Thank you MrsBob I'll take that on board. It's scary though!

EauRouge Sun 02-Mar-14 16:06:01

I finished C25k almost a year ago and just ran my first half marathon this morning! Not a bad time and it wasn't that hard (not so bad that I wouldn't do it again). It's definitely doable in a year. I was doing no exercise at all when I started running so you've got an advantage there.

Good luck!

CMOTDibbler Sun 02-Mar-14 16:07:17

Loads of time! Get started on C25k now, then run 5k consistently for a couple of months, maybe do a race for life in the summer, increase one run a week by 1k a week till you do 10k, then follow one of the training plans (I like the Womens Running mag one) for the half.

I was a non runner last spring - had always hated running, couldn't run etc. Did a half in September, my next is in 3 weeks, and then another 5 weeks after that!

orangeflutie Sun 02-Mar-14 16:41:18

You can do it! I just ran my first half this morning and never thought I would be able to. Go for itsmile

Watto1 Sun 02-Mar-14 16:45:46

Thanks all. I'm very impressed by your achievements. I feel inspired now!

Eau, I wonder if you were running the half marathon that went through my town today? Was it sponsored by admiral insurance by any chance?!

Watto1 Sun 02-Mar-14 16:47:16

X-post! Same question to you Orange! I'm determined now.

orangeflutie Sun 02-Mar-14 17:04:14

Watto1 I ran the Eastbourne half this morning. Want to know which one EauRouge did nowsmile

Watto1 Sun 02-Mar-14 17:15:00

Not near me then orange. The Newport half marathon virtually went through my garden this morning. If I do it next year I could pop home for a cuppa at the 9 mile mark!

EauRouge Sun 02-Mar-14 17:19:23

No, mine was in Cambridgeshire. There are lots of HMs on today! Most people run them this time of year as a warm-up for the London marathon.

Well done on your first, orange- how was it? It was seriously windy here.

Sirzy Sun 02-Mar-14 17:45:05

There is a thread for runners of all abilities on here - great for support and keeping each other motivated.

I started running in October, have my first 10k in May and first half in September so I hope it's doable! I am also still 2 stone overweight (having lost 4)

orangeflutie Sun 02-Mar-14 18:06:27

Eau it was seriously windy in Eastbourne too but that's not that unusualsmile Lovely scenery. I tried to keep to the right pace and managed a chip time of 2.23.28 including loo stop. I'm quite tired now but happy.

Did you enjoy yours?

orangeflutie Sun 02-Mar-14 18:08:35

Watto1 that's great you have a half so close to you, sounds perfect.

EauRouge Sun 02-Mar-14 18:44:15

It was OK, it was very windy and there were more off-road bits than I expected. Even some of the paved bit had crap all over it from a recent flood so it wasn't very easy going. But I managed to squeak in under the 2:30 time limit, 2:29 something (haven't had the official result yet) so I'm pleased about that.

orangeflutie Sun 02-Mar-14 19:54:57

Glad it went well EauRougesmile

sarahandduck Sun 02-Mar-14 20:00:30

Yes definitely doable. I started running a year ago on the couch to 5k, did a few 10ks then followed a 12 week training programme and completed my first half marathon today in 2:06. It feels amazing and I say go for it.

Watto1 Mon 03-Mar-14 09:44:11

Well done all of you. Reading your posts has really spurred me on. I've looked at C25K and it doesn't look too bad! Going to buy myself a decent pair of running shoes and get going. Don't think my battered old Reeboks are going to cut it!

BlueChampagne Mon 03-Mar-14 11:47:57

Seriously consider a new sports bra as well Watto1, and good luck! I did my first 10k last year and have signed up for a HM 1st June.

princessalbert Mon 03-Mar-14 11:52:14

Yes, you can do it.

As said upthread aim for small goals as you go along.

C25K first. Then maybe find a parkrun and get some speed up doing that?

10K by late summer/autumn.

Then just keep at it - increasing your distances slightly, gradually until half marathon time.

I did one a couple of years ago - the furthest I had run in one session was 8 miles. I struggled with 13, but did a walk/run combo. I completed it, and will happily do it again.

Good shoes and sports bra are all you need.

gracehedley Mon 03-Mar-14 22:34:25

Watto1 there is a nice 5k park run at Tredegar House in Newport, flat and quite forgiving underfoot. I do it sometimes. Something to aim for in the summer maybe? smile

Watto1 Tue 04-Mar-14 08:07:38

I'll look into that grace. Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now