Talk

Advanced search

Exercise and energy

(10 Posts)
Aix13 Sat 01-Mar-14 07:33:33

I go to the gym 4 times a week (since January) but I find that I am increasingly exhausted for the rest of the day! Also, I have put weight on instead of losing! 3k!! Can anyone suggest an energizing diet I could try??

muser31 Sat 01-Mar-14 07:40:30

watching with interest as this also happens to me. granted, i have messed my metabolism up through extreme dieting in the past, but i am healthy now. but still every time i exercise i gain, i tihnk this is because it stimulates my appetite. i still haven't figured out why i get more tired..... i have realised that i have to take it really slow in order not to get the fatigue factor.... for example just walking on the treadmil on an incline for 20 minutes is enough... then add in a 5 minute jog after a couple of weeks. any more vigorous than this and i am wiped out. i have no idea why as i used to be extremely fit!

muser31 Sat 01-Mar-14 07:41:06

oh and my weight gain from exercise isn't always muscle smile

Joules68 Sat 01-Mar-14 08:07:17

Is it possible you aren't doing enough?

What are you doing at the gym? And what are you eating?

Aix13 Sat 01-Mar-14 10:00:44

I do two hours of body scilpt and two hours of spinning and I really keep up. I wonder if cutting carbs and increasing protein might help but I absolutely hate dieting because I can!t sustain it!!

Aix13 Sat 01-Mar-14 10:01:01

Same here!

LordEmsworth Sun 02-Mar-14 20:52:42

Cutting carbs and/or increasing protein is not the same as "dieting", it's changing the way you eat.

Without knowing what you eat, it's hard to know what to suggest; but it is possible that:

- You're having too many carbs, and your body is having a hard time digesting them. That might be the case if you've upped your portions/snacks and justified this by thinking "I'm going to the gym later so it's ok"

- Or the opposite, you might be having too few carbs - spinning is hard cardio work, and carbs are an easy fuel source

- Or you might be low on protein and your body's having a hard time repairing itself, and diverting energy to that

- Or it might be completely unconnected, maybe iron deficiency or a thyroid problem. If you've upped your activity levels, your body might be finding it harder to cope with that. But I suspect more likely that you've fallen into the trap of thinking "I'm going to the gym so I can eat what I want!" grin

aaliyahmacgo Wed 05-Mar-14 06:18:10

can anyone tell me what is the best exercise to lose weight and emmit Cellulite?

Wishihadabs Wed 05-Mar-14 06:27:12

How much weight do you have to lose ? I think you nearly always need to combine exercise with some food restriction to lose weight. There is relatively good evidence that exercising on an empty stomach is better for fat burning.

Are you doing 4 hours every time you train? If so thats too much.

You need to up your protein too. Make sure you have something before you train - I train first thing in the morning so normally have a protein bar in the car on the way to the gym.

What is a typical days diet for you. What are your goals, how much weight do you want to lose? It's rubbish that you gain weight in muscle when you start training....more common is people tend to eat more to reward themselves for exercising but really weight loss is about 80% diet and only 20% exercise so even if you exercise till the cows come home, if your diet isn't great then you won't lose weight.

The best exercise is something you enjoy and will keep up, not just something you endure smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now