Talk

Advanced search

Triathlon bras? And any other advice for total newbie appreciated

(9 Posts)
CMOTDibbler Wed 26-Feb-14 18:49:35

I've decided to have a go at some sprint triathlons this year, and the mystery of finding a bra that isn't going to be horrible and soggy is still eluding me a bit.

I'm a 30ff, so need more than a crop top!

And any other words of wisdom would be much appreciated smile

Thistledew Wed 26-Feb-14 19:01:48

Hi Dibbler

I did my first season of triathlon last year and wore a ShockAbsorber sports bra under a tri-suit. Yes, it gets wet, but with tight fitting Lycra it doesn't feel horrible and soggy. You really don't notice you are wet and once you get on the bike you pretty much dry out quickly. I would advise either a tri-suit or tight fitting Lycra separates as baggy cotton would be horrible.

Thistledew Wed 26-Feb-14 19:04:36

I would add that some tri-suits come with integral bras but they are to be avoided if you are large of nork. I'm 32E and go for a bra-less suit with sports bra.

kaizen Wed 26-Feb-14 19:14:16

Yep- my norms are fairly big and I wore a run bra and tri suit under a wet suit. You won't notice as being damp is part of the experience grin - I agree with thistle - wear tightish Lycra and avoid flapping t-shirts. I'm no skinnie-Minnie and it felt fine.

kaizen Wed 26-Feb-14 19:15:57

Norms??? Norks!!

CMOTDibbler Wed 26-Feb-14 20:01:49

Thanks both, I shall just stick with my favoured running bra then - just had the horrible thought of cold norks while cycling!

I can't bear cotton when I'm running, let alone a tri, so have a distressing amount of tight lycra anyway. I think of it as a good incentive to move faster so no one sees me in close up

BistoBear Wed 26-Feb-14 20:05:27

I also wear a shock absorber bra under a tri-suit (An Aldi £8.99 suit, no expense spared!), the technical wicking fabric of the sports bra drys really quick during the cycle.

Happy multi-sporting, I love it! smile

CMOTDibbler Wed 26-Feb-14 20:22:23

I'll keep an eye on Aldi then! Am enjoying the training so far, though I have a couple of half marathons to do before really getting fully into it.

kaizen Wed 26-Feb-14 20:39:34

It's amazing what you get used to wearing. My friend commented that having to wear a Lycra tri suit was why the training was so hard. The event photos take no prisoners tho- I look like a hippo coming out of the sea last year but will now always remember to take my swim hat off before running up the beach - not a pretty sight!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now