Talk

Advanced search

Ultra Runners

(11 Posts)
twofaceshenanigans Tue 25-Feb-14 19:12:46

Any more of you out there?

I have my very first Ultra in June this year! 46 Miles. I'm slightly nervous but very excited. Any tips are very welcome.

lougle Tue 25-Feb-14 19:30:57

Not what you wanted from this thread, but I have questions!

How long have you been running?

Have you always found it easy, or was it very hard at first?

How did you get to a place where you were running long distances?

twofaceshenanigans Tue 25-Feb-14 22:44:13

Evening, I've been running for 2 years now, long distances about 6 months or so, I can't say it's easy. It's very very tough mentally but I find it much easier than shorter distances mostly because I am slower (built for endurance not speed I say!)
I fell into long distances by accident, I met a running buddy through my local parkrun and gradually we just started running further and further, we always do our super long runs together on a Sunday. I honestly couldn't do the mileage week in week out on my own, I have friends who meet me during my long runs and do miles with me to keep me company.

lougle Tue 25-Feb-14 23:06:37

Wow...that's encouraging smile

Mitchy1nge Wed 26-Feb-14 09:26:57

I only know ultra runner well (although there are a couple in my local running club) but he often points out that beyond the marathon distance, and the further beyond that you go, women do much better than men - so if 100 men and 100 women set out on a 50 mile run more women than men will finish. The gap in finish times closes up and begins to reverse in our favour too. It could be our greater amount of body fat coming in handy for energy or some psychological advantage (surely it is mostly a mental feat over those distances?) but it fascinates me.

You probably already know that but if you didn't it might help! Am very interested in ultra running but in a more theoretical sort of way at the moment. Do you know/have you heard of Mimi Anderson? She is very inspiring! Good luck and please keep us posted.

EauRouge Wed 26-Feb-14 10:22:07

I have to say I always thought ultra runners were bonkers and I was never tempted to do one, until I saw one. Now I'm pretty tempted! Maybe in a couple of years when my DDs are a bit older (and I'm a bit fitter- and I will have to get one of those hayfever jabs).

Tiredemma Wed 26-Feb-14 10:25:29

A man I work with does Ultra Marathons. I really admire him- I didnt know he ran ultra races but did know that he was a keen runner- one day I told him about my frustrations in myself for struggling to get past 9 miles when I was training for a HM.
He told me that the previous weekend he was really pissed off because he had to stop at 89 Miles in a 100 mile race. He wasnt bragging- just empathising I suppose but made my jaw drop.

twofaceshenanigans Wed 26-Feb-14 14:08:00

Wow thank you for the positive posts, my running buddy is male and I am mentally stronger than he is, on our long long runs I spend more time egging him on and getting him through, a lot of women who run will say the same, also ultra running is about distance not speed so many men will go flat out for 30 miles then will have to stop or will struggle immensely and the women know how to pace themselves much better. The main struggle for me is fuel and learning to eat and run at the same time. Many many runs has seen me revisit my food!

EauRouge Wed 26-Feb-14 14:32:29

You realise that several people have just appointed you 'official MN ultra marathon expert' and you will be bombarded with questions.

Mitchy- Race to the Stones 2016? wink

Pipkinhartley Wed 26-Feb-14 14:49:32

Have a look at the Runners World forums - lots of info and forum threads from like minded ladies. (Search out the "from 0 to a marathon in 22 weeks" thread, the OP there has provided lots of inspiration to many, and has now completed an ultra and has entered several more!)
And good luck, I've managed a marathon but take my hat off to ultra runners, you are a special breed!

twofaceshenanigans Wed 26-Feb-14 20:50:49

Thanks for tip! Some seriously inspirational people on the RW Forums.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now