Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to shred- limited by knee pain

(3 Posts)
elspethmcgillicuddy Mon 24-Feb-14 22:01:08

I have tried the 30 day shred for the last week and loved doing the exercise. Unfortunately it has totally screwed one of my knees. I have pain at the front of the knee and think that I have slightly pulled one of the ligaments. I tried the shred today thinking I could go through the pain but a few mins of jumping jacks and I couldn't walk or kneel. Took several hours for the pain to go.

I loved doing the exercise. Not sure what to do. Should I continue with it after a few days rest? Try some yoga or something to strengthen the knee then go back to it or find an alternative? I particularly loved that it was high intensity and short duration so was able to do it with the kids around during the day or in the evening if working. Any advice?

woodrunner Tue 25-Feb-14 14:59:07

Can you focus on doing the upper body stuff. Use it as a basis for workouts, and instead of doing jacks, lift the weights above your head, keeping a swift pace to raise the heart beat, as that's what those 2 min sections are all about. Once you get to level 3 (I think - might be 2) there a lot of plank work. It's really tough and melts fat but shouldn't be too hard on the knees.

A fitness instructor told me knee pains are normally brought on by the muscles around the knee being too tight, so yoga and lots of stretches to the front and side thigh muscles could help.

Also, even though she says there's no excuse not to do jacks, you could do those half jacks where you step each leg out alternately. which means there's not jumping and so less strain on the joints.

elspethmcgillicuddy Tue 25-Feb-14 16:24:03

Thank you for the reply. I downloaded a runtastic app as well and did some exercise from that. I may go back to the shred and just do as you suggest in a week or so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now