Talk

Advanced search

Can I do a 20 mile walk without formal training?

(18 Posts)
knottyhair Mon 24-Feb-14 06:00:44

I'm contemplating a charity walk in June. I think I'd struggle to fit in a proper training programme (I'm a SAHM with my youngest who is 14 months). I'm 46 in May, I'm fairly fit. I do a Jillian Michaels or Bob Harper DVD most days, I currently walk 4.5 miles with the pushchair once a week, plus another walk of about 3 miles with the pushchair once a week. And we regularly go on family walks of between 5-8 miles. But I think I might be being naive about this and underestimating how hard it will be. Any advice?? Thanks.

arabellarubberplant Mon 24-Feb-14 06:05:26

Maybe, maybe not.

I took part in the Nijmegen marches for a few years and was fine. Dh tried it once and pulled out on the first day with a groin strain.

You could be fine and just sore, or you could end up miserable, blister -ridden and have to drop out not even half way...

The walk is in June. Do you work ft? Even then, you have plenty of time to do some training?

CecyHall Mon 24-Feb-14 06:11:42

I have a few times (with lots of years between). It was ok, I was a bit fed up by the end and blistery but I might have been that even with practice.

Good footwear would be the biggest help.

frenchfancy Mon 24-Feb-14 06:53:26

If you are already fit and regularly walk several miles you will be fine.

hoboken Mon 24-Feb-14 07:08:49

Regular hill and moorland walker over 60... A lot may depend on the terrain. Off road, involving hills, uneven ground etc can be strenuous (reckon on 2 - 2.5 miles an hour on average including breaks and well-fitting boots strongly advised) . If you are walking on roads and reasonably flat terrain you will be faster and well-fitting, worn-in trainers and socks will be fine. Sounds as though you are pretty fit - maybe do some longer walks if and when you can fit them in. Hopefully the weather will be fine.

TamerB Mon 24-Feb-14 07:14:06

I agree with hoboken. You need to try and fit some longer walks in. I am over 60 and doing my second half marathon next weekend, I have no formal training, just regular runs of different lengths.

Sillybillybob Mon 24-Feb-14 07:22:37

I'm sure you will be able to do it (physically) - I have previously, but it will no doubt be more enjoyable if you do more training!

capercaillie Mon 24-Feb-14 07:25:03

Most important thing will be comfy boots or trainers that you know won't give you blisters. Wear those on your other walks. I'd think one longer walk would be ok to give you an idea of distance and stamina

TamerB Mon 24-Feb-14 07:25:59

I think that you need to do some where you leave your DC with someone and do some regular longer walks.

Artandco Mon 24-Feb-14 07:29:35

Sounds fine. Try and walk everywhere in the week or talk little one for a walk at least every day. Most people walk 1 mile in 20 mins. Sometimes faster. So an hours ok pace walk should get you 3 miles min. Can you do that every day? And twice some days

People don't realise how easy it is to rack up miles per day I you are out/ walk to work etc. my toddlers do at Least 3-5 miles a day just greeting around/ playing. More on certain days

TheFowlAndThePussycat Mon 24-Feb-14 07:30:23

Not necessarily. I did a 1/2 marathon walk with no training last year thinking it would be fine because I ran 2 to 3 times a week up to distances of 10k. I gave myself a knee injury which has nagged on at me for months and I'm currently completely off exercise to rest it. Very frustrating.

cathpip Mon 24-Feb-14 07:37:24

It really does depend on the terrain, flat Tarmac style surfaces you may well be fine but stiff and sore the next day. Hill walking you will need extra training, I did the Yorkshire three peaks a couple of years ago it's 24 miles long and lots of different terrain. I am a regular walker and quite happily would walk 12/13 miles or run 12/13 miles but this was hard and very tiring on the legs. ( am mid thirties)

Cockadoodledooo Mon 24-Feb-14 07:47:58

I did the Moonwalk when my ds2 was a similar age. Couldn't have done it without the training. Doing the training was fine though, just popped ds2 in the buggy and followed the schedule. I made sure to do one walk on a weekend when dh was around so I could walk without leaning in something (though pushing laden buggy up hills is great strength training!).

The reason I haven't done it since is because I can't fit in the training - at 4 ds2 is no longer keen in being strapped in a buggy for long periods wink

Good luck.

TamerB Mon 24-Feb-14 07:56:05

I did a 26 mile one when I was about 36yrs. I managed the distance, without training, but could hardly move the next day. You need to get your body accustomed to it gradually.

TamerB Mon 24-Feb-14 07:59:44

I was thinking of doing a 26 mile walk in May but even though I am half marathon running I have decided I am am not ready because it is cross country and very different from my road running. There is no reason why you can't but lots of preparation will be easier on your body.

lljkk Mon 24-Feb-14 11:43:59

Walking 20 miles isn't that hard, honest.
at my age (mid 40s) I would build up to doing half the distance comfortably, but you don't need any expert advice, just common sense fitness advice.

knottyhair Mon 24-Feb-14 12:44:05

Wow, thanks everyone! Lots of great advice. I'm just waiting to see if my friend is going to do it with me, otherwise I might wimp out and go for the 10 mile option so my DSis will do it with me. But then I am tempted to go for the 20 miles on my own.... I do walk everywhere (I don't drive), those 2 distances are just the longest I do weekly. I do feel like I'd be OK without too much prep but I'm aware I have a tendency to be naive about these things. Thanks again.

Blacksquirrel Thu 27-Feb-14 17:19:52

As long as you have comfy broken in footwear you will be fine!

I am currently training for the London 2 Brighton challenge (62 miles) and my longest training walk so far is 22 miles. I am unfit & it hurt, but that is what the training walks are for...to find out which bits hurt & how you can ease them before the big day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now