Talk

Advanced search

Long shot but can anyone tell me what this injury is??

(7 Posts)
vikkik888 Sun 23-Feb-14 16:37:02

Hi, I'm hoping someone here could shed light on this for me as google is telling me all sorts. So I'm training for London marathon, all going well apart from the odd aches and pains in my lower legs. This morning I set out to train on the Hastings half route, a race I've run the last 3 years and planned to run again next month in prep for London. I got to about 8 miles, up the dreaded Hastings hills and felt really good fitness wise, thinking I could possibly knock 20 mins or so off last years time. I got to the brow of a hill, and as I started coming down I felt what I can only describe as an explosion in the back of my left leg. All of a sudden my calf muscle was in agony, hamstring and a dreadful shooting pain in the back and round the side of my knee. I couldn't continue, the pain made me feel physically sick and I had to ring someone to pick me up and drive me back to my car. On the way home, because I was sitting still I suppose, I had no pain but random spasms all over my leg muscles. This was around 1pm, at about 3pm my leg gave way and I've never felt pain like it. Fast forward to now, all the time I'm sitting, nothing but pins and needles down the back of my leg. But when I walk, oh god the pain!! I should add that my right leg, not so much as an ache. Anyone else experienced this and can help me with a diagnosis? Please? I'm happy to pull out of Hastings if the hills are going to make this worse but the thought of pulling out of my first London marathon actually makes me want to cry. Thank you if you made it this far, apologies for the long explanation.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 23-Feb-14 16:44:54

Go and see a doctor or a sports physio. It sounds like you have torn something.

RhondaJean Sun 23-Feb-14 16:45:21

Sounds like you have torn your calf muscle.

I did this last summer kickboxing. It's a pain like no other.

Get to a and e or a walk in clinic for a proper diagnosis, put ice on it immediately and raise your leg. I was eight weeks befits I could do any training at all, on crutches for about 3, I saw a friend who is a physio within a few days and had an urgent nhs physio referral for rehab, even now my leg is not completely normal it's still quite weak.

Faster you see someone the better but ice it right now. It could also be something knew related but similar.

cuggles Sun 23-Feb-14 16:45:46

Torn calf muscle was my first thought..with the explosive pain...or even wonder whether a ligament hasgone in your knee..pins and needles would indicate nerve issue...sciatic...so maybe whatever has happened has compressed that a little?? ...not medical person btw just also done sport and pe teacher in past.

cuggles Sun 23-Feb-14 16:46:18

Oh and ..sorry to hear that you are in pain!

RhondaJean Sun 23-Feb-14 16:46:27

Knee related

vikkik888 Sun 23-Feb-14 16:58:21

Thank you for all your advice,y calf muscles are where I've always felt it after a long run, I tend to use my lower legs more. The pain now is, although generally all over the back of my left leg, mainly to the side of my knee.

Someone has just mentioned cruciate ligament to me and now I'm petrified I'm going to have to pull out of the marathon confused

Will get to a doctor tomorrow and do the old trusty RICE for the rest of the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now